Specialized Roubaix: Grit and bad weather maintenance.

lucieandpaul
lucieandpaul Posts: 267
edited April 2010 in Workshop
Hello

Recently ventured into road riding, after being an avid MTB'er.

Bought a new Specialized Roubaix Elite Carbon and have been commuting to work most days as well as long weekend runs.

Doing it for MTB fitness more than anything.

Anyway, i am used to regular cleans of my MTB after muddy Mabie ride outs, but ive found my roadbike is constantly getting covered in grit, salt and crap off the roads.

I live in country and the roads arent ideal with plenty of muddy tractors, potholes and grit.

How often should I be washing the Roubaix and is there anything I should be regularly stripping and cleaning?

Im using a good quality carbon safe bike cleaner (cant remember name, its the red stuff with blue label) and have been doing occaisional cleaning but as i am using it almost every day its getting filthy with grit day in day out.

Any tips?

Cheers

Paul
www.cree-cottage.co.uk
4 Star 7 Stanes Cyclist Accredited luxury holiday cottage accomodation for cyclists. Self Catering, with the best facilities and with 7 Stanes trails on your doorstep.

Comments

• Mudguards would stop most of the cr4p getting on the frame, other than that just clean it as often as you can be 4rsed to. I'm lucky as there is hose outside the warehouse door at work, after a wet mucky ride in I just give the bike a quick hose down and it gets the worst of it off.

Pretty nice bike to commute in on btw, can you keep it in the office or something while you're at work?
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • Thanks for the reply.

I cant bear to fit mudguards to it, although the Crud Catcher ones might be something to get away with without spoiling looks.

Tbh the grit and crap is around the cranks, bb and drive train so mud guards wouldnt help that bit.

I can keep it in the office, just inside the door next to my desk so going nowhere!

Cheers

Paul
    www.cree-cottage.co.uk
    4 Star 7 Stanes Cyclist Accredited luxury holiday cottage accomodation for cyclists. Self Catering, with the best facilities and with 7 Stanes trails on your doorstep.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Thanks for the reply.

I cant bear to fit mudguards to it, although the Crud Catcher ones might be something to get away with without spoiling looks.

Tbh the grit and crap is around the cranks, bb and drive train so mud guards wouldnt help that bit.

I can keep it in the office, just inside the door next to my desk so going nowhere!

Cheers

Paul

Mudguards would help here, most of that grime is sprayed up from the wheels, doesnt happen with decent mudguards fitted. Can of worms nicely opened :wink:

Dont know crud catchers though. As for cleaning, I am also a fan of the "when I can be arsed" regime, although I have a winter bike for commuting and winter training and a nice carbon bike for when its dry or racing so best bike tends to stay clean anyway. Winter bike gets washed with soapy water from a bucket, best bike a wipe with a damp rag occassionally.
  • This is what I did during the winter months.

Install a chain link, something like a KMC 'missing link' makes chain removal easy.

Bought a workstand (Park Tools - Home Stand) £99. (This is not required, but i does stop the bike getting knocked over while cleaning)

Then, once a week(ish) remove chain and clean, use baby wipes/lint free cloth. (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_224324_langId_-1_categoryId_165609)
    Give the frame a good wipe clean and then apply some 'Pedros Bike Lust silcone polish' (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Pedros_Bike_Lust_Silicone_Polish_-_350ml/5360049221/)
    Total time, approx 20-30 mins. Don't forget, a clean bike goes faster