My new Baby has arrived - Some advice please

ALaPlage
ALaPlage Posts: 732
edited April 2010 in Road beginners
My first road bike has arrived having purchased a Trek Madone 5.9 (second hand). I have listed details and pics on Your Bikes so would love to hear what you think if you have time to peruse.

Covered 34 miles this morning in 2hrs 5 mins on a route that my quickest time on my Boardman Hybrid was 2hr 25 mins.

Absolutely loved it and recommend to anyone on a Hybrid and considering going to a roadie then get on and do it. What a difference. My only change needs to be the saddle as it was too uncomfortable. Do you seasoned roadies think I should stick with it (a San Marco SKN Titonix) or switch to a Fizik Arione (not used one before but reliably informed this is likely to be more comfortable). Whats you thoughts?
Trek Madone 5.9
Kinesis Crosslight T4

Comments

• macondo01
    macondo01 Posts: 706
    Glad you are enjoying your new bike.

Saddles. Now there's a subject to set folk apart.

Can't comment on either of your choices from personal experience. However I am very happy with my Specialized Toupe.

If you go for a Fizik saddle I believe their guidance for being Arione suited is to be a lithe and agile snake form beastie. See their website.
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • ALaPlage
    Thankyou for the response - any thoughts on a 90kg lardy bum - saddle wise of course!
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    Ive got a Fizik Arione and its comfy enough, my arse started aching a bit after 2hrs today but I think that is lack of riding rather than the saddle lol
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    It's your backside. A saddle is a personal thing. That said Fizik saddles are great . Their website has a guide that's worth Reading . I' m an Arione fan.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • ALaPlage
    Have ordered a Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow - see how that goes!
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • If your hybrid has a comfy saddle why don't you just transfer it over to the madone?
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Dunkeldog
    Dunkeldog Posts: 138
    Having tried a few out I've found I need a saddle with a generous cut out to leave me able to feel my extremities after a long ride! Specialized Toupe best I've found to date.
  • ALaPlage
    Thnks for the advice - I have ordered a selle italia gel flow max flite as this has had good reviews and seems to suit the larger assed rider!

Fungus - Hybrid sold on Saturday so missed the opportunity.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4