Assembly grease

Ollieda
Ollieda Posts: 1,010
edited April 2010 in Workshop
Any preferences of bike specific assembly grease?

I've used LM grease (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_172551_langId_-1_categoryId_165705) for years which is meant for cars but I've been using it anyway. Finally ran out of this old pot and wondered if any of the bike specific ones are better, just seems a bit overkill using motor products on bikes!

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    It's cheap compared to 'bike specific' lubes. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Which is why I was wondering if there is a difference or if bike companies are just ripping people off for the grease!
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    snake oil

lard

man fat

I use the slick from Bryan Ferry's head myself.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Ollieda wrote:
    Which is why I was wondering if there is a difference or if bike companies are just ripping people off for the grease!

IMHO bike specific oils and greases are just so much hype. Seems that something NEW - MUST USE comes out at least once a week and renders all other bike lubes obsolete. Lately there have been a lot of MUST USE green lubes. A quick look in any bike shop or online catalog will reveal all kinds of lubes that all claim to be the best. My guess is that most bike lubes are simply products produced for other uses in industry and manufacturing and are simply repackaged, hyped, and sold as bike specific. I other words I have my doubts that any of them were developed exclusively for bicycles.
    Sorry, I rant on. It's a hobby of mine.
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    dennisn wrote:
    Sorry, I rant on. It's a hobby of mine.

Yes we'd noticed :P
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Me too. I've been using the same pot of grease on cars for 25 years, and so use that on the bikes too. I reckon i'll be leaving it to someone in my will.

Mind you, when I've stripped down various bits of my bike I notice that Epic used a range of brightly coloured greases, assembly pastes and thread-lock on assembly, and found myself tempted to buy some. I'm particularly keen on the luminous lime green grease.

I am not labouring under the misapprehension that it is any better than the 25 year old automotive stuff, but it is a lot prettier. The car grease looks like they just caught the juices from a spit-roasted whale.
    Also the bike stuff will come in a nice clean tube, and not have any dead flies, grit or sawdust in it.

My new chain was marinated before installation in semi-synthetic 5W-50 oil. I have a fiesta and a focus to maintain, so I always have 5 litres or so lurking somewhere.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Been trying to get the large tub of Super Lube grease for some time now. There are retailers over here but the larger tub seems to be US only.
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    Lith-Moly grease is what I use for just about everything.

Copper grease shouldn't be used on aluminium-to-steel joins.

~~~

Keef, 5w50 might be great for bike chains (I use gearbox oil personally) but Zetec engines were designed to run on 5w30.
  • keef66
    You're right, it's 5W-30. Doh!

And I'm slightly concerned by your comment about copper grease and steel / alu joints. I have a friend who's reassembled something using copper grease. How long has he got before the steel bolts become irreparably bonded to the alloy components?
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    I don't know really. It would probably take quite a long time as aluminium doesn't react with things very quickly.

I don't know whether it's just aluminium-to-steel or aluminium in general either.

Could someone clarify this?
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    keef66 wrote:
    And I'm slightly concerned by your comment about copper grease and steel / alu joints. I have a friend who's reassembled something using copper grease. How long has he got before the steel bolts become irreparably bonded to the alloy components?

I think galvanic corrosion requires water. In any case, I suspect this advocation is a myth. There may be something to it in theory, but I've never seen corrosion caused specifically by the use of copper grease on a bicycle, but I've seen plenty of corroded components, greased or not. If anybody can show examples to justify this common warning, I'd like to see them.

That said, I'm not convinced copper grease is any more use as ant-sieze on threads than normal grease (though I've blithely recommended it here before). I'll suggest just using one pot of grease for everything in future.
  • keef66
    I think when he's bought some day-glo green bike grease my friend will be removing several bits and pieces, cleaning off the copper gunk and reinstalling with the grease.

I think the copper-slip will be confined to car wheelnuts and brake assemblies in future; pretty mucky stuff to work with around a shiny bike anyway