Steerer Size - Specialized Rockhopper Pro

davenjac
davenjac Posts: 20
edited April 2010 in MTB beginners
My first MTB, so need advice. Just ventured into building a new bike.

Bought a large 19" Rockhopper Pro frame, does anybody have a guide as to which steerer size would fit this frame.

Looking at a set of Rockshox Rebas, but no idea what fits and what doesn't. Also are there any compatibility issues with the varying manufacturers of forks?

Any advice is greatly apreciated as don't wnat to waste my money on something unuseable.

Ta
Dave

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Steerer size is 1 1/8" diamater.

Diffrence between different manufacturers and infact different forks of the same travel is they all have different axel to crown length.

The Reba's will be a good choice for a Rockhopper.
  • davenjac
    davenjac Posts: 20
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry, should have made myself clearer. What length steerer would fit the 19" frame, as I'm looking for a used set of forks the majority have been cut to varying sizes.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Depends on what height you want the stem/bars at. Measuring your current one is really the only way to tell.

Measuring from the bottom of the headset/top of fork crown, to the top of the steerer tub/top of stem is a good guide.

Make sure you don't get a steerer much shorter (by a few mm's) but if you get a longer one, you can always cut it down
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    davenjac
    read the FAQs, there is one about measuring the length of your steerer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown