Sram VS shimano

2»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i prefer sram, it feels better to me but i much much prefer shimano cranks.

i dont see what the big deal about 2 chainrings is :? surely anyone can do that to their bike pretty easily and considerably cheaper than a new chainset? im doing it to my enduro very easily, im removing a chain ring, ta daaa, 2 rings.

i only tend to use the middle ring so dont see the need for a different sized ring.
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Loving the X0 groupset I've just fitted compared to the SLX/XT/XTR combo that was on the bike previously. Shifters are taking a while to get used to as both up and down are operated by thumb rather than thumb/finger, good though as it leaves the finger free for cover on the break lever at all times...
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Most new SHimano shifters can be used thumb/thumb too.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i like the feel of shimano, and shadow tech really clinches it for me, i used to abliterate mechs all the time. but I must admit that Sram is lovely, although the current stuff looks better than the new stuff. For me shimano offers bette value aside from XTR.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    its a shame more folk dont give regular plain old deore more of a chance, it is actually pretty nice these days and looks the part as well for not a massive ammount of money.

when you consider the quality of performance it really is ace value.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    its a shame more folk dont give regular plain old deore more of a chance, it is actually pretty nice these days and looks the part as well for not a massive ammount of money.

when you consider the quality of performance it really is ace value.
    too damn true!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    +1 for the new Deore groupset

Comparing it to my 2005 XT the weight is about the same and shifting seems identical.

Still got an old Suntour rear mech from the days when they made real quality kit and were fighting Shimano for the top spot. Still shifts okay even though it must be 20+ years old.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    lawman wrote:
    $360 for an XT chainset, $115 for the cassette and $130 for the rear mech :shock: i know thats dollars, but thats a crazy amount to pay imo

For reference, this years prices:

XT chainset $315
    cassette $100
    rear mech $110

So the price increase is almost 20%!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    GHill wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    $360 for an XT chainset, $115 for the cassette and $130 for the rear mech :shock: i know thats dollars, but thats a crazy amount to pay imo

For reference, this years prices:

XT chainset $315
    cassette $100
    rear mech $110

So the price increase is almost 20%!

i know its insane, even with my discount i would be paying full whack 2010 prices for the 2011 shimano stuff .......... nuff said really, good job we stock sram then :lol:

also the sram clolours look ace, but sadly no pink im afraid andy :P
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    had loads of both, broke everything sram and the shimano still going strong, both shift good and look good but i want parts that last so im still with shimano (appart from chains).
  • supersonic
    It seems expensive - but we don't know the quality or weights yet - it may well be as good as the out going XTR!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    yer could be, if it was all new i would probably think it was, but it isnt, the brakes and front shifter are the same, the cranks only have new rings and the rear mechs and front mechs are pretty much identical to the out going ones. sram has totally redesinged everything and i think they have put alot more thought into the intergration of the groupsets and the product that the public want most, which from what ive seen seems to be 2x10, which shimano arent offering for some reason
  • supersonic
    Well they do have 2x10, to a fashion.

I just don't think we can judge it until it all comes out - just speculate. SRAM have never even done a groupset like this before. And I am not sure the public really wanted 10 speed anyway. I still don't know anyone who uses XX!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    supersonic wrote:
    I still don't know anyone who uses XX!
    The reason for that could be cost? Will interesting to see how many we see as the 2x10 filters down to the more affordable groupsets.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    Shimano cranks any day but my god their shifters and mech's are fussy. I literally have to index my SLX/XT gear every other week to prevent ghost shifting and gear slipping, compared to the X5 drivetrain that came on my previous Mongoose hardtail that I didn't need to touch for almost a year (bar cleaning and lubing).

I'm gonna be upgrading to a redwin red X0 setup this summer so my vote goes to SRAM.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i will buy whoever is the first to make an ano blue cassette and derailier

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Didnt the XC World Cup podium and the Tour de France podium all use SRAM XX or Red?

But tbh, I use SRAM on both the roadie and the MTB because they just seem to fit my hands - I think Mr SRAM must have the same tiny hands and stubby fingers I have...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    If Shimano have got it right the soon to be released Alfine will do me just fine. No more chain suck, less chain and teeth wear and no worries about clogging mud. Looking forward to the reviews.
    Don't think, BE:
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I think the Alfine is the way forward, if they can bring the weight down on it that'd be even better, if it could match or get closer to that of a geared system I think it would make mechs pretty much redundant. Wierd how it could go back to the way it was years ago with sturmey archer 3 speeds!
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    To right paul 8v, if it works I reckon sales will be massive. The countless number of broken mechs I saw over last winters racing.
    Don't think, BE: