Anyone find Specialized All Condition Sport tyes rubbish?

guttertrash
guttertrash Posts: 147
edited April 2010 in Road beginners
Only had the roadie for a month and had four punctures. One from a thorn, two from shards of glass, and one of unknown origin.

The roads are A and B roads of varying quality in the countryside, so there is a fair amount of gritty rubbish at road junctions, bit nothing major in the gutters, and I avoid riding extreme left anyway and hang around in the left hand tyre car tyre track.

Am I unlucky, or do I need some more heavyweight tyres? I thought the All Condition Sport ones on the bike as standard would be ok, with aramid bead and FlakJacket, but now I get the feeling they aren't upto the job for my 20 mile round trip commute.
Ribble New Sportive
Specialized Pitch Pro

Comments

• guttertrash
    Apologies for posting this in the wrong forum :/
    Ribble New Sportive
    Specialized Pitch Pro
  • orangepip
    orangepip Posts: 219
    I had the mtb size tyres on my commuter for a bit and i found them to be excellent to start with however after a fairly short period of time the rubber seems to degrade somewhat and i was getting punctures on a very depressingly expensive basis.
    I switched to the conti equivalents and i thought they were much better - infact lasting nearly 9 months without a puncture on my glass strewn route
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    edited April 2010
    Hi there guttertrash. I cannot comment on the tyres you mention but I can't help thinking that most tyres would succomb to shards of glass.

I have Specialized All Condition Pro II and they have been great. If you think your tyres might be at fault as opposed to you being unlucky/the roads being sh*te then a lot of people rate Michelin Krylion Carbon Tyres. I have bookmarked them for next time (but still might go for some Spesh Roubaix Armadillo Elites instead):

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y2071
  • guttertrash
    Thanks for the tips. I'm also looking at Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres.

I'm thinking the tyres are poor quality, mainly because two other chaps I work with also commute regularly, doing the same route as me, and neither of them has suffered a puncture at all, whereas I have had four within a month.
    Ribble New Sportive
    Specialized Pitch Pro
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    The p#ncture fairy strikes at random. You'll probably now have none for about two years.

Are your tyres pumped up properly (over 100psi) etc?

Spesh all Condition Sport tyres are alright. Bit slow and heavy but other than that, nothing wrong with them . . .
  • guttertrash
    Yep, check tyre pressure before every ride (not a problem considering I only ride to work twice a week at the moment), Have them at about 110-115 psi.

Every time I ride over some rough road surface now, I worry its a puncture.

I asked one of the guys at work who never suffered a puncture doing the same route, and he has Conti Gator Skins, so I've ordered a pair of those, and see how I go. If they puncture just as regularly, then it must be something I'm doing wrong.

I say they were shards of glass, its not like I've been riding over broken glass or anything, its just those small highly polished bits of glass that tend to sit in the grit on the roads. Twice i have had to prise these out of the tyre leaving cuts in the surface that have right through to the tube. There doesn't appear to have been any resistance from the tyre to letting the offending item puncture the tube. Don't know if its anything to do with the amount of snow we had over the winter, and amount of road gritting that was going on.
    Ribble New Sportive
    Specialized Pitch Pro