Advice on chain powerlink connectors for Shimano chain

hard-rider
hard-rider Posts: 460
edited April 2010 in MTB beginners
I've been reading that a lot of people remove their chains for cleaning.

I have a Shimano HG53 chain which doesn't appear to have anything like a powerlink in it. I've looked on CRC but can only find SRAM powerlinks and no Shimano equivalents. Is the SRAM one compatible with the Shimano HG53 chain?

I also spotted a Shimano chain connector pin on CRC. Is this to replace the pin you remove when you break a chain? Is it always necessary to replace the pin? If so I guess I better get myself a couple of spares.

Comments

• Sram is fine
  • hard-rider
    OK. Do I need only one powerlink or do they wear and require regular replacing? Also, is it worth getting the Shimano chain connector pins.
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    One powerlink should last the life of a chain,you dont need new pins with a powerlink.
  • hard-rider
    Ok thanks
  • Make sure when you buy 1 powerlink that it's not the place that rips you off by selling you just the 1 half-plate ;)

Buy a 3-pack (3 pairs of halfplates), and keep the other 2 in backpack. They're really handy when your chain snaps in the middle of nowhere! (need a multitool with a chain tool though to remove the knackered bit)

Never used SRAM powerlinks with Shimano myself, but I hear they work fine.
    Andy - The Expat Cyclist in Germany
    '07/'08 Cotic Soul
    '96 Scott Vail
    '89 Ridgeback Rapide 105
  • SRAM Powerlink work great with a shimano, much easier than those crazy shimano pins. Also handy having a couple in the camlebak in case you or a riding buddy snaps a chain.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Chainreaction are doing 3 pairs for £3.99 at the moment ordered a pack last week

Make sur you get the right colour Gold for 9 speed chain Silver for 8 speed
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • hard-rider
    Thanks for the heads up on getting the 3 pack. I'll order that on Monday. My previous order from CRC has been delayed due to the flights in the UK being grounded :cry: