THE televised debate

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited April 2010 in The bottom bracket
Between the three leaders.

I bet a pound to a pinch of salt it'll be a damp squib and a bit of an anti-climax.

In fact probably quite true to politicians so much as so much gets promised and then so little gets delivered.

Hope I'm wrong, but we'll see.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    ...like all I want right now is to hear three more politicians talking even more (looks for yawning smiley but doesn't find one).

Now, a live firing line would get me watching :twisted:
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    I'm the same, can't really see the point, no unvetted questions from the audience, they've been given a list of the questions to be asked, each must have as much speaking time as the others, ok so they've had to do this to get the three of them to agree to come onto the debate, but it just sounds as though it's just a PR stunt rather than a proper debate.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    It has to be done, so we may as well get on with it. It is more of a sporting event than politics, the result is likely to be a no score draw, but there is always the possibility of a sensational goal, or more likely, an own goal that will have an effect on the vote. I think the fear of this will mean they don't take the gloves off, at least for the first two debates.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    How many minutes will be "on the clock" before David Cameron says BROKEN BRITAIN.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • awallace
    awallace Posts: 191
    Gordon Brown is deluded. Cameron and Clegg are too but to think throwing money at the police, and claiming immigration is just about stopping non EU people getting chef jobs isnt going to make me vote for him!
  • alfablue
    awallace wrote:
    Gordon Brown is deluded. Cameron and Clegg are too but to think throwing money at the police, and claiming immigration is just about stopping non EU people getting chef jobs isnt going to make me vote for him!
    So you prefer an arbitrary immigration quota? That option is only proposed by parties that have no ideas!
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Hmmmm, I like Gordon and David. The other guys name slips my mind at the moment, but he is cute. But...Which is best? There's only one way to find out.
    FIIIIIIIGGHHHHHTTTT !!!!!
  • awallace
    No i dont think quotas are right but it seems all three say what they think we want to hear and not what will make a difference. I dont want to rake up old threads but immigration isnt just skilled workers coming to the uk. In fact this is probably the least concerning part for many.

Regarding throwing money at policing, injunctions and anti social behaviour it takes more than bobbys on the beat to solve it but this seems to be overlooked. Again politicians think we all want to hear "we will put more police on the streets" but in reality i want a root cause fix not a throw money at a problem answer.
  • alfablue
    I think (some) people blur EU citizens' right to live and work in the UK with immigration from non-eu countries (if they speak a foreign language!). Personal experience suggests it is now extremely difficult to migrate to the UK legally from a non-EU counry, and it requires that you have a required skill set or profession. Of course the right wing tabloids will paint a different picture, but it is wrong.

I agree, "bobbies on the beat" is a palliative, it is probably not the best use of police budgets.
  • awallace
    alfablue wrote:
    I think (some) people blur EU citizen's right to live and work in the UK with immigration from non-eu countries (if they speak a foreign language!). Personal experience suggests it is now extremely difficult to migrate to the UK legally from a non-EU counry, and it requires that you have a required skill set or profession. Of course the right wing tabloids will paint a different picture, but it is wrong.

I agree, "bobbies on the beat" is a palliative, it is probably not the best use of police budgets.

Migrants working in the UK from outside of the EU or within are in simplistic terms contributing to society. I would never deny someone the right to help in times of need so asylum etc is good when it is not used for unfair gain, but politicians never mention the side of immigration where people marry someone from another country for them to gain entry to the UK, they dont learn English, work or bring the benfits of their culture to the UK because of a lack of integration.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Nick Clegg can say what he wants - its unfair.

He will never ever ever have to watch him saying it and have to explain why he isn't doing it.

Both the other two know they will be in with a chance of being held to exactly what they say.
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    I bet a pound to a pinch of salt it'll be a damp squib and a bit of an anti-climax.

Correct. Not very entertaining.

I thought Clegg came out on top. But he can say what he likes really.

Brown came across as a broken man.

Cameron ? umm. Should have done better.
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Damn!!!!! I missed it :D
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    brin wrote:
    Damn!!!!! I missed it :D
    Lucky you!
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • olddgreg
    olddgreg Posts: 53
    I thought Nick Clegg performed the best. He was animated and at least looked like he wanted to be there.
    Cameron was uninspiring and looked bored. Brown looked tired and beaten.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,785
    If you think Clegg did well why not vote for him? Why all this "he can say what he wants"?

If you're going to blame the system, saying that the Lib Dems never have a chance, then why not vote for a change to the system so you could actually vote for who you want?

There are many subtleties of a PR or first past the post system which are plenty fairer, rather than the extremes people always go for as soon as an alternative voting system is mentioned!
  • olddgreg
    olddgreg Posts: 53
    If you think Clegg did well why not vote for him? Why all this "he can say what he wants"?
    I'm 18, so this is my first General Election. Before this televised debate, I didn't really have much to seperate them with. I think now, based on the debate, I am leaning towards the Lib Dems. Still, I didn't think any of them performed that great.
  • It's a sad situation where we end up having to choose who to vote for based on the "least bad". But still, here we are.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    In my constituency, I have the choice of an Elderly Liberal (Ming) or a Scottish Nationalist (?). Tories and Labour are irrelevant minorities. This stars in your eyes x factor strictly come politics talent show charade crap is utterly bogus, but the masses will make their choice based upon something to do with eye-liner and shaggability and I will end up with another government I never voted for and never would have voted for.

I read a book recently on Anarchism (OUP short introduction series). It was seductively appealing as a philosophy.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• bikey2009
    bikey2009 Posts: 121
    Barrie_G wrote:
    I'm the same, can't really see the point, no unvetted questions from the audience, they've been given a list of the questions to be asked, each must have as much speaking time as the others, ok so they've had to do this to get the three of them to agree to come onto the debate, but it just sounds as though it's just a PR stunt rather than a proper debate.

I agree,

The politicians have to toe the party line, if you ask them about a local issue they are thinking "how will this play into the hands of the opposition"?
    An example of this is the conservitive politician who said in an interview today that it is possible that londons Crossrail extension funding may be cut.

To me it doesn't matter that the person who said it is from any political party, but the fact that the other parties jumped on the statement because it was not part of the mps' party manefesto.

I just thought by using the word "possible" ( with regards to funding withdrawall) she was being honest :!:
    Isn't that what we all what :?:
  • ean
    ean Posts: 98
    I didn't watch it. I will be interested to see how many people did tune in and what the trend is over the next two.

My guess is less people than Dr Who and going down.
    The trees lie about the wind...
    www.wirralseafishing.co.uk
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Did anyone else notice that Nick Clegg's answer to everything was repeat previous answers ad nauseum and to can the Trident program ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    they needed Jerry Springer to liven it up a bit
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    They were all in one place,. An opportunity missed...
  • the ferry
    the ferry Posts: 258
    Brown took them both to school for me..all day long.

He was the only one who looked like a credible leader - Brown wins!
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    If the other two made Brown look credible (I didn't see the debate) then god help us all!
  • the ferry
    the ferry Posts: 258
    Well for me......both working, two holidays a year. Kids in great schools, oldest one has gone through college and is now in a great job. I have the bike of my dreams. My youngest has been given a diabetes pump by the NHS (they cost£3000!) Its great where i live and i could honestly be doing with more of this - no problem.
    It might sound like i'm alright Jack but we get one vote each so i'll vote for myself as others will then we tally them all up and see who wins - simples! :)
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    why do we need any of them its all run by eu anyway.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    the ferry wrote:
    Well for me......both working, two holidays a year. Kids in great schools, oldest one has gone through college and is now in a great job. I have the bike of my dreams. My youngest has been given a diabetes pump by the NHS (they cost£3000!) Its great where i live and i could honestly be doing with more of this - no problem.
    It might sound like i'm alright Jack but we get one vote each so i'll vote for myself as others will then we tally them all up and see who wins - simples! :)

Sounds reasonable, but do be aware that your kids will be paying the debt off their whole
    lives. Still racking up at about £600 per house per month.
    exercise.png
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    I do find it weird that the debate was mostly around more spending on "front line services". I don't want anyone to spend more on nurses or policing or anything like that, as they will be f**k all use when the lights go out, the water stops and the bond markets want mad rates.