Got my new bike today

teulk
teulk Posts: 557
edited April 2010 in Road beginners
I took ownership of my Orbea Aqua TTG today, i took it for a very short ride just to check the set up ect and i was all over the road trying ride in straight line. It was very twitchy compared to my mountain bike.

Does anyone have any hints, tips etc to help my transition from MTB to Road bike easier ?
Boardman Team 09 HT
Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
Specialized Secteur Elite 2011

Comments

• the_prophet
    the_prophet Posts: 426
    keep riding. its get easier. talking from experience.

just need time to adjust.

enjoy it and get some pictures up ;)
  • Nice one Teulk, I got my new orbea T105 last month and love it. what colour sheme did you go for then ? Black white and red for me.
    Stick with it and put in the miles you will get used to it i was much the same as you last month.

exercise.png
  • teulk
    Thanks for the replies, i also got the black / white and red colour scheme.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • speshy
    speshy Posts: 42
    congrats on your new bike...

i made the change from mtb to road bike at the begining of thr year, and like you found it very twichy on my 1st ride.. everytime i looked behind, i ended up in the middle of the road.
    but by the time i had got 1 decent ride in, it felt fine... and now i absolutly love it....

enjoy :D
    =================================================
    2009 specialized allez elite
    kona caldera
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Sit forward on the saddle, relax and enjoy. As for looking round (turning right etc) I find I look under my arm rather than over my shoulder now and I stay straight.
  • practice practice practice =)

Grats on the new bike!

I went from a cacky MTB to a roadie and havent looked back one (other than to smile at the people I pass lol! )

Relax your forearms and dont grip the hoods like your choking a hooker... Also, the drops are amazing for hiding from the wind and getting a particularly enjoyable burst of acceleration, as well as making descents faster and more controllable. Try to get some practice in the drops too!!
    exercise.png
  • teulk
    Ok, ive just got in from doing 20miles and i was very pleased with it. Its far more comfortable than my mtb and much easier to ride. However my back was killing me, obviously i need to adjust something - i have some spacers on top of the stem to play with but also when im on the drops i just feel to low tbh.

Anymore advice would be more than welcome.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • Take it back to your LBS and get them to fit you for it properly?
  • teulk
    I will however its going to be at least a week before i have the time but in the mean time is there anyone thing that would cause my back to ache so much i.e. Bars to low ?. Im almost happy with the seat position and the adjustmeant there would be very small. I do still think that perhaps the bars are to low for me.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • As you say, you could move the spacers from above the stem to below it and see if that helps.