My New Wheels Arrived!

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited April 2010 in The bottom bracket
Just got my order from friend of NapD and all round good egg Derek from wheelsmith.co.uk and they look amazing.

Red PMP hubs, CX Ray spokes and 50mm gigantex carbon rims. Can't wait to get out on them tonight! Just wanted to say that the price and service I got from Derek was excellent even though there was a few weeks worth of delay, he kept me informed throughout and never made any promises he didn't keep. Would definitely recommend.

Should I put some pics up later?
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    Just got my order from friend of NapD and all round good egg Derek from wheelsmith.co.uk and they look amazing.

Red PMP hubs, CX Ray spokes and 50mm gigantex carbon rims. Can't wait to get out on them tonight! Just wanted to say that the price and service I got from Derek was excellent even though there was a few weeks worth of delay, he kept me informed throughout and never made any promises he didn't keep. Would definitely recommend.

Should I put some pics up later?

Ofcourse!
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    I have the same and they're great :-)
    Make sure you pop a small square of tape over the valve stem to prevent any rattling.
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    Yes, as these are the very wheels I am thinking of getting!
  • Westerberg
    Westerberg Posts: 652
    what's the damage £££?
  • Westerberg wrote:
    what's the damage £££?

I paid £683 including 2 lockrings (11 and 12 tooth), skewers, Vittoria tubs glued on, valve extenders and DHL delivery.

Took them out last night and am pretty damn impressed. Once they span up they held speed really well, super stiff too. Only downer was I was too impatient to wait for my carbon specific brake blocks to arrive so I had a a scary and noisy trip down Newlands last night!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Just been on their site, they look great value. Anyone one here had them long term? Are they still good?
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    Homer J wrote:
    Just been on their site, they look great value. Anyone one here had them long term? Are they still good?

Not really 'long term' but I've put about 700 miles on mine, mainly road races and crits.

I've been pretty impressed by them, they feel reasonably stiff, spin up nicely etc. They certainly feel like they make quite a big difference when it's windy.

Durability wise - I had a crash which knocked the front about 5mm out of true (it was bouncing off the brake pads), but there doesn't appear to be any damage to the rim and the LBS got it perfectly true again.
    The RR courses around here are littered with pot-holes and I've not managed to avoid all of them, and they've held up fine. I was very nervous at first about carbon rims, but not so much now.

I raced them in the rain a couple of times and the road grit completely stripped the 'special' coating off the brake track. Pretty heartbreaking at the time as the warning sticker says to replace when the coating is worn away, but after a bit of googling I found some accounts from people using Gigantex rims for 'cross and they'd had the same thing from the very first race and after the initial stripping of the coating they seemed to stabilise and not wear much more. I've found the same thing - had no further discernible wear in subsequent rainy/gritty races, and braking performance is unaffected.

Hope that helps. I've not really got any other deep section or carbon wheels to compare to but I'm liking them plenty so far.
  • CarbonCopy
    CarbonCopy Posts: 492
    Nice reveiw Tomb 8)
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Thanks, it's what i would use them for as well.