Gillette fusion razors

Ollieda
Ollieda Posts: 1,010
edited April 2010 in The bottom bracket
Left my razor at my parents house when I last went to visit them so I had to go and buy a new one today. Did have a gillette fusion so I wanted to get another one except when I got to the store I was confronted by a choice of two.

The "Phenom" and the "Gamer", seems to me they are the exact same razor just with a different colour scheme. Anyone know if there is a difference between the two of them, or is it just some silly PR ploy to get more people into using their razors!

Comments

• I refuse to buy a gillette razor becaue their ads are so damn irritating, I mean "Mach 3", "turbo" wtf is all that about - its just a bloody razor!!!!!
  • Westerberg
    Westerberg Posts: 652
    total rip off. Tesco own brand dual blade disposables are all you need mate. Won't make you any less of a man.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    I always end up buying a new Gillette razor instead of blades for the old one. Always got some sort of offer on that makes it a cheaper option

No idea if there is a difference between the razors, all I know is they seem to work
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Been using the Fusion power (Phenom I think) a little since xmas and have to say, even with one more blade, 5 not 4, I'm not getting a more comfortable shave. The blades are dearer than the last one I was using, the Mach 3 turbo but the shave not as good.
  • Westerberg
    how many friggin blades are we gonna end up with - I'm waiting for the first 10 bladed razor. Any more than 2 is overkill in my humble shaving expert opinion. I've used 2 blades all my adult life and I can tell you, the chicks dig me.
  • I remember an article in New Scientist a couple of years back explaining that anything over 2 blades was overkill as the hair didn't rebound fast after the initial stroke to be caught by the proceeding blades. SPoke to my prejudices also.

Likewise, don't try and tell me moisturising is "refuelling" to make it sound manly. It isn't.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    I can tell you that infact the best razors for shaving with are DE and staight razors.

I joined the badger and blade forums a few years ago after suffering with shaving rash and ingrowing hairs for years.

The use of proper shaving creame, a badger hair brush and single blade razor had transformed all of this for the better!

Any questions please ask away.
  • Westerberg
    Likewise, don't try and tell me moisturising is "refuelling" to make it sound manly. It isn't.

Hear hear! My personal routine: Rise at 3am for a 100 mile ride before work, cold shower, coal tar soap, burn off stubble with zippo lighter, splash of Dettol round the chops, off I go......
  • Squillinossett
    Westerberg wrote:

Hear hear! My personal routine: Rise at 3am for a 100 mile ride before work, cold shower, coal tar soap, burn off stubble with zippo lighter, splash of Dettol round the chops, off I go......

Ohhh La-De-Da
  • guilliano
    Dettol? Pussy! I just sandblast my face and scalp then dunk my head in pure ethanol and off I go.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    I remember when I used to use razors. A friend bought me one of the fancy 3 bladed ones as a comment that I never shaved properly; god it was so soft! When I'd buggered the blades I just bought some Morrisons' budget razors with one blade - talk about tearing your face off!

Don't even bother now, I just use a hair trimmer set to low to take off the longer brush and leave a 12 o clock shadow. I'm so shexy... 8)
  • Westerberg
    guilliano wrote:
    sandblast .
    Sandblast? luxury...I use a shot blaster before rubbing chilli flakes into the open wounds for a really bracing start.
  • Ho hum
    Ho hum Posts: 236
    I can tell you that infact the best razors for shaving with are DE and staight razors.

I joined the badger and blade forums a few years ago after suffering with shaving rash and ingrowing hairs for years.

The use of proper shaving creame, a badger hair brush and single blade razor had transformed all of this for the better!

I am a DE convert as well! Been using them for the last 3 months now.

Badger and blade is a great forum.

Still trying to find the right blade for the bottom of my neck and around my Adam's Apple. Feathers are too sharp, may try a Gillette Yellow instead.
  • Ive just started using the king of shaves razor instead of my usual vibrating gadget. There is a huge difference in closeness and cost above all.

Gillette can shove their crappy products up their arse from now on.

For prep I use a combo of king of shaves, clinique and golce and gabbana stuff.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Whats a DE?

I used to use a straight razor but never got onto neck area comfotably. Stop using that when my dad wanted to see what all the fuss was and started playing with the blade and ended up dropping it.....huge nick in the middle ment I couldn't use that one again! Never got round to geting a honeing stone or just buying a new blade, hence i ended up back with the fusion razor
  • Ho hum
    DE is double-edge, it refers to the blade I believe.

Have a good look around on the Badger and Blade forum. It's great if you are interested in getting the best shaving experience.

Switching to DE shaving will involve a bit of an initial outlay, but in the long run it is cheaper because the blades are much cheaper.
  • I have a mole on my top lip closer to my nostril. I'd be scared to tears to try shaving it with a traditional type razor
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Squillinossett
    Ho hum wrote:

Still trying to find the right blade for the bottom of my neck and around my Adam's Apple. Feathers are too sharp, may try a Gillette Yellow instead.

Have you tried Derby blades? They might suit the bill. I use feathers myself, noting feels like a shave with them!

Ping me a PM over with your address on and I will pop you a couple in the post to try provided I can find them!
  • Ho hum
    Ho hum wrote:

Have you tried Derby blades? They might suit the bill. I use feathers myself, noting feels like a shave with them!

Ping me a PM over with your address on and I will pop you a couple in the post to try provided I can find them!

Thanks for the offer.

I have actually tried Derbys before and found that they also irritated the same area because they were not sharp enough, lol!

The irritation is better now than it used to be. It lasts for about 2 or 3 hours and then calms down.

I just need to remember to go as light as a feather, excuse the pun, when I shave down in that area.
  • Squillinossett
    Have you tired Tend Skin? This also may do the trick.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Ive just started using the king of shaves razor instead of my usual vibrating gadget. There is a huge difference in closeness and cost above all.

Gillette can shove their crappy products up their ars* from now on.

For prep I use a combo of king of shaves, clinique and golce and gabbana stuff.

Really? I tried that king of shaves job after all the awards it got and could not get on with it at all.
    After a couple of weeks of perserverance I binned it and went back to a Gillette Mach3.
    IMHO gillette hit the sweet spot with the Mach 3. It is more expensive than the KOS mind.

I do really rate KOS shavegel and shaving oil though.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Ho hum
    Have you tired Tend Skin? This also may do the trick.

Thanks.

Never heard of that before.

I may give it a whirl. If I can just sort the 2/3 hours of redness out then I would be delighted and saving money over my old Mach 3 turbo.
  • guilliano
    I found that KOS razor to flexy to get a decent shave with. It just bent instead of being able to put any pressure on to cut the hair properly. Shaved with a Mach 3 straight after and could hear the stubble coming away.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    edited April 2010
    Like some of the other posters here, I'm a DE user and have been for many years.

It was actually my doctor who recommended I give it a go. My razor burn was so bad that I actually sought medical help!

I use a Merkur Futur with Merkur blades. Nothing shaves like a proper razor and it's a money saving investment: blades are less than 30p each, look after your razor and it will last a lifetime.

Ho hum - I find the biggest difference in terms of avoiding razor burn around the neck is made by (i) watching the blade angles, it's easy to get too steep around the neck and (ii) working with the grain - and bear in mind that neck whiskers tend to grow at crazy angles, so factor that in.

I use Tend Skin before going to bed - it's a great product. I also use alum after shaving which helps protect against ingrown hairs, infection and burn.

Shaving is an utter pleasure when done properly!
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I use some "shave tech" electric shaver, does my face, can't think what the need for these Gillette things and other razers you have to replace all the time is. I shave like once every 4 weeks. But every time I do it, it comes back faster.

I might leave it one day and become Goathub.
  • Ho hum
    Thanks for the advice Nuggs.

I know what you mean about the hairs growing in daft directions!

I will experiment with a slightly different next time I have a shave :)
  • Westerberg
    guilliano wrote:
    I found that KOS razor to flexy to get a decent shave with.
    The Tesco Sensitive disposables are plenty stiff - no flex even when cornering under chin at high speed. The titanium ones are even better though give a slightly more forgiving shave when used for longer periods.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Wooly Woofters, I use liquid Oxygen if Im in a hurry. Or a mach 3 turbo if I have the time. KOS shaving oil is very good, apart from the fear of not seeing any foam on your face and applying a razor to it, once you are over that its fine.

When I do get around to upgrading I wont buy another Gillette product, they have fallen foul of my advertising standards with the 3 knob heads they use.
  • I've never been able to get on with shaving oil when I've tried it for some reason.

So If I wanted to give an old fashioned razor a go how and where would I go about it and what would people recommend?
  • Ho hum
    www.shaveshack.com
    www.connaught-shaving.co.uk

Try something like a Merkur razor with one of their selection packs of blades. It may sound silly, but each kind of blade really does have a different feel.

Also, budget for a decent badger-hair brush, soap/cream, after shave and an Alum block.