removing tub tape residue

Si C
Si C Posts: 130
edited April 2010 in Workshop
Anyone know of a good way of removing tub tape residue?

Took the old tub and tape off, but it's left a layer of glue all around the rim.

Comments

• Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Well to be frank, or Bob I'd not even bother. In fact when I retaped my older bike's bars I just taped over the top of the old tape. Gave me a lovely cushiony feeling!

Link here that may help anyway :)
    http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index ... 79821.html
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Bunneh wrote:
    Well to be frank, or Bob I'd not even bother. In fact when I retaped my older bike's bars I just taped over the top of the old tape. Gave me a lovely cushiony feeling!

Link here that may help anyway :)
    http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index ... 79821.html

TUB tape not BAR tape :shock:

id imagine acetone or a similar solvent would work but id be very careful if they are carbon rims
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Flambes
    Flambes Posts: 191
    Recently went through the same process.
    Acetone (substitute) was very hard work, although it did shift it a bit. Misses was none too pleased though as I used her nail polish remover.

Overall, best by a mile was petrol and a toothbrush. Watch the fumes and you'll get it done in no time.
  • Si C
    Si C Posts: 130
    Flambes wrote:
    Recently went through the same process.
    Acetone (substitute) was very hard work, although it did shift it a bit. Misses was none too pleased though as I used her nail polish remover.

Overall, best by a mile was petrol and a toothbrush. Watch the fumes and you'll get it done in no time.

Thanks...and uncanny that your name is Flambé....that's the petrol I take it :wink:
  • Flambes
    Flambes Posts: 191
    Yes, good point! Managed to avoid a good flaming, but didn't manage to avoid feeling very woozy as I was cleaning the rims in the garage with it raining outside.

One thing though, IMHO new tub tape is happy going over old tub tape if it's not too thick residue. I reckon it sticks even better.