Rigid front forks for Claud Butler stone river (disc)

saladfunky
saladfunky Posts: 130
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
I am looking into getting rid of the original suntour heavy clunky front forks on my Claud Butler Stone River MTB. I want to use it for general running around, shopping etc but it is heavy and the old forks horrible. Can anyone recommend a carbon rigid front fork for this sort of thing? It is disc specific, not the pillar type attachment.

cheers

Chris
Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    exotic carbon. cheap at about £80 and the same ones are sold under numerous other names for much more.

If you want to spend more, then the next step up performance-wise are the one that look like road forks, as these tend to be much more rigid.
  • saladfunky
    exotic carbon. cheap at about £80 and the same ones are sold under numerous other names for much more.

If you want to spend more, then the next step up performance-wise are the one that look like road forks, as these tend to be much more rigid.

thanks for the reply, I see from your bikes you have a rigid forked one. Good to ride?

Chris
    Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I have a set of the Exotic Carbon forks and can highly recommend them. They are very light weight, built well, quite stiff and yet does absorb some of the trail buzz. They made the bike much predictable than my old RST forks and as a result made riding a lot more fun.
  • saladfunky
    jairaj wrote:
    I have a set of the Exotic Carbon forks and can highly recommend them. They are very light weight, built well, quite stiff and yet does absorb some of the trail buzz. They made the bike much predictable than my old RST forks and as a result made riding a lot more fun.

thanks for that. . . . they do sound like just the job. Just need to make sure they fit with my disc set up.

Chris
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yeah, I've got a set of those that I sometimes put on the Soul, very nice. haven't exactly hammered them but they don't feel weak. People get uptight about cheap carbon fibre but Nukeproof sell the exact same part with different stickers on for about 50% more and they don't seem to worry about those ones ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    saladfunky wrote:
    thanks for that. . . . they do sound like just the job. Just need to make sure they fit with my disc set up. Chris

The disk mount option forks come with IS standard fittings. So even if your current set-up is post mount it will be easy to adapters.
  • saladfunky
    jairaj wrote:
    saladfunky wrote:
    thanks for that. . . . they do sound like just the job. Just need to make sure they fit with my disc set up. Chris

The disk mount option forks come with IS standard fittings. So even if your current set-up is post mount it will be easy to adapters.

IS and post mounts, I've heard of these but not sure which one is which?

Chris

:oops:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a look in the FAQ.