Jump bikes for heavier riders?

Mrhunter
Mrhunter Posts: 13
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi i am looking at getting into the sport and i use to as a kid but since i hit puberty i seem to have put on an absurd amount of weight (sorta grew from nothing to 6.3 and my legs are huge) Im not overweight and have a fairly low Fat %, i use to love biking and owning a bike and regularly doing 20 mile treks each day.

Now the problem is that whatever bike i get and no matter what bike i ride i ended up buckeling the wheels (probably rubbish wheels) i currently weigh around 16 1/2 stone and if i shred my fat it will be around 15, now im looking for a jump bike because i need a smaller bike as i live in a city that also has lots of nice trails (jump trails) on my commute.

The bike wont be needed to trawl for hours on end but i would like gears, if they snap oh well ill put a single speed on there.

Now i was looking at getting a 2009 Kona shred in 16 inch or 17 inch frame, mainly because i need a smaller bike for on the trains and i prefer smaller bikes.. ^^

Any advice on what bike to get ? Pref with double walls on the rims and 2.3's (i weight more so i like the added width for cornering, had 2.1's once and they did not like corners) if i do get a bike with smaller ones ill most likely put some panaracer 2.4's on there, any way!

Price limit is £400 £450

Comments

• Mrhunter
    Edit just found a Kona Shred 09 for £340 :) Is it worth getting ?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Your best bet would be to build yourself something custom. As a starting point look at the commencal maxmax then get the wheels rebuilt. Any wheelset on an entry level bike wont be up to the abuse you plan on dishing out :twisted: But it's due to the quality of the build of the wheels. Spend a few bob at your lbs getting them evenly tensioned and trued up properly and you'll find they'll survive a lot more abuse.
  • Mrhunter
    Yea, i was considering that aswell would it be worth getting something like the kona as a starting point and then dishing out some cash on the wheels, swear its a pain finding stuff when your huge! Clothes bikes xD,

Was having a look at those bikes and they are swell after something with a bit more suspension as this is a bike to commute on, (like 20 minutes) so nothing bad, as for wheels i could pick up a set of Halo's?

And im after gears aswell as this is for sreet and dirt,

cheers for a help though you have made me think about getting a bike selling wheels rebuilding, then getting anything else i might need ^^

Im really intrested in the Kona though any oppions on that with a set of halo's in single gear (if i did take that path) ?
  • Mrhunter
    On second thoughts i think i might go with a single gear, works out way cheaper! Just having rode them single for a long timmmmme i actually prefer gears xD
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    In my experience, there is very little point in buying a bike to upgrade straight away. Kona tend to be overpriced as they're imported not to mention the markups are tiny on them. In the lbs near me there was a lovely little norco singlespeed with DJ2 but it's gone now :( It was about £450 but would have been perfect, even though it was singlespeed.

Spend your full budget on a bike with just enough left over to retension the wheels, speak to the person doing the work to explain why you need it doing and everything will be dandy. Wheel build is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more important for strength than the absolute strength of the parts.

As an example, I regularly did drops to flat on a set of fairly light xc rims with 32 db spokes, i weigh about the same as you, and I bent the cromoly forks before the wheels gave way because the wheels were very well built.
  • Mrhunter
    haha, i get what your saying now yea im moving to a new house thats up the road from a bike shop so basically buy a bike xD Get the wheels pimped out and all will be gravey :), cheers alot for the help and i got a better idea of what to look for, i always thought that the heavier you where the stronger the bike has to be (well that is true) but i realize a well built wheel will outlast in a sense.... :( I miss being able to throw bikes around xD Ill have a look at the local bike shop,

whats your opinion on GT's? I think i can sacrifice my gears as it is a jump bike but im after something with some suspension :)
  • Mrhunter
    Btw im loving the Norco's just had a quick browse! might have a look on ebay for a second hand one,
  • Mrhunter
    Btw im loving the Norco's just had a quick browse! might have a look on ebay for a second hand one,
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I would seriously consider the commencal maxmax.

Same frame as the Absolut and that is a great bike.

You could buy a second hand set of Rock Shox Tora's for around 50 quid or get some Merzocchi DJ's (just stay away from the 4's because they top out horribly an dhave ne rebound adjust)
  • peter413
    bobpzero wrote:

Probably not since he will probably have to blow his whole budget on wheels and a frame :wink:
  • Mrhunter
    So the commencial max max ^^
  • Mrhunter
    http://www.realcycles.com/products.php? ... b58s2p1587 Found it for 260 that a good deal?
  • peter413
    Mrhunter wrote:

It is quite a good deal but you will want disk brakes if you are a heavier rider

Add a suspension fork to that and you could be looking at 500 quid in total
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    if you can grab some halo sas rims then i'd do it
    i weigh 13.5 at 6'1 and have cased many landings with no problems.
    i got mine for £120 second hand
  • Mrhunter
    Yea i remember twisting a pair of brakes on my old one (disk), the disk got ripped off the forks xD Pretty funny really, urmmmm so i have ridden brakeless for about 5 years ><, they slow you down im a speed freak, they will come in handy on the down hills but i wont use alot,

Okay i decided to get that and the forks you suggested and im keeping my eye out for some halo's that are a tad cheap on ebay,
  • peter413
    Most dirt jumpers only have a rear brake and the frame protects the disk quite well.

I am assuming this is what you mean by brakeless or are you meaning no brakes at all :shock:
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    peter413 wrote:
    I am assuming this is what you mean by brakeless or are you meaning no brakes at all :shock:

Ah quite a lot of street and dirt jump BMXers run brakeless :wink:

The fire eye cromoly frames look good for the money or there is the ever present DMR jump bikes. If you need super strong whels go for 24" as they are inherently stronger failing that get a higher spoke count iirc 48 is possible.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Mrhunter
    Yea i use to ride street with no brakes, on a custom saracen (i know i know, frame was a beast though and i use to ride trails sometimes so the chunky frame was awesome). I think not having brakes you truely come to appreciate the handling of a bike.. they feel less weighed and bulky, sharper turning etc not saying i will do that with this one lol,

Yea im gonna order the commencial max max and get some new forks / wheels strip the breaks off and run some old v brake hydroly's i got somewhere :( might still work, and then im thinking some halo's in 24 ^^, cheers for the help everyone i just needed a better picture of what to buy, been ages since i have ridden a bike due to an accident where i hit the floor and fractured 7 teeth xD Put on a bit of weight since so it will be nice to get out and get trimmed and ready for the trails in summer, ordering my bike in a few days :)

Hoping to shred 2 - 3 stone this summer and get back in shape,

Btw i did have a helmet on :) So be carful!
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    anything should last you if you look after it.

I bought a Specialized Hardrock 2 years ago, that ive been dirt jumping since and its doing fine. Granted i bought a decent back wheel and upgraded most stuff, but its still a cheap small chuckable bike.

Im the same size as you too.
  • Mrhunter
    Btw another quick question im use to riding small bikes but is a 16 inch frame okay? found a cheaper commencial maxmax but its in 16 not 17 :( im 6.2 / 6.3 will i be okay?
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    yes.

im 6 foot 2 and mines a 15".......