Le Tour 2010 Les Pyrenees

Lard Armstrong
Lard Armstrong Posts: 25
edited April 2010 in Pro race
I am planning to drive down for the mountain stages and take my bike, however I have never done this before, so some questions;

1) I am going alone with a a tent, should I book campsites or will I be OK with 'rough camping' ?

2) Given that I am going alone, I am presuming that I won't be isolated and that there will be plenty of like-minded people around during the days and nights ?

3) I have heard horror stories about bikes being nicked from cars/motorhomes, should I be worried ?

4) Any suggestions for places to stay or avoid ?Any general advice for a newbie visitor ?

Thanks, any other suggestions are very welcome !

Cheers, LA.

Comments

• Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I'm doing the same. Me and my buddy are driving down to the Tourmalet. First time for us too...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Can't say I can give much advice, though I can say the Pyrenees are quite remote and wild compared to the Alpes.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    There's a nice campsite in Bagneres de Luchon where there is also a stage start and finish. It's always busy though so you'd need to book.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    1. That depends on you. I can only do one night away from a shower before I feel too grungy to carry on.

2. Oh yes, there are shed loads of people to talk to and share a drink with :)

3. No idea, seems to me lots of bikes around unsecured, no idea how much of a problem theft is.

4. Sorry no specifics, have only done the Alps previously. But don't worry about viewing position on the road too much, as the race approaches people just bundle in and you never end up where you started.

This bit is obvious but I'll say it anyway, you want to be on the climb, not decent, and you'll do a lot more hanging around that you suspected, the truth is it's a lot of waiting for a small amount of action even on a steep ascent. Take a fleece, sunblock and plenty of water too.

Good luck and enjoy it.
  • rick_chasey
    dougzz wrote:
    1. That depends on you. I can only do one night away from a shower before I feel too grungy to carry on.

2. Oh yes, there are shed loads of people to talk to and share a drink with :)

3. No idea, seems to me lots of bikes around unsecured, no idea how much of a problem theft is.

4. Sorry no specifics, have only done the Alps previously. But don't worry about viewing position on the road too much, as the race approaches people just bundle in and you never end up where you started.

This bit is obvious but I'll say it anyway, you want to be on the climb, not decent, and you'll do a lot more hanging around that you suspected, the truth is it's a lot of waiting for a small amount of action even on a steep ascent. Take a fleece, sunblock and plenty of water too.

Good luck and enjoy it.

On the Tourmalet they'll be going up both sides at some point in the Tour.....
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    That's different days though isn't it?
  • rick_chasey
    dougzz wrote:
    That's different days though isn't it?

Yeah.
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    there's a campsite just up from ste marie de campan the aspin side - think there's one the tourmalet side too.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    1) I am going alone with a a tent, should I book campsites or will I be OK with 'rough camping' ?
    I suspect you'll be better rough camping, can pick your own locvation but will be showerless.

2) Given that I am going alone, I am presuming that I won't be isolated and that there will be plenty of like-minded people around during the days and nights ?
    Tourmalet was packed last year, will be mental this year. Expect to see ETA painted everywhere

3) I have heard horror stories about bikes being nicked from cars/motorhomes, should I be worried ?
    Never seen or heard of it, but there are so many bikes that even a basic lock would be a deterrent if you're worried

4) Any suggestions for places to stay or avoid ?Any general advice for a newbie visitor ?
    If you do the Tourmalet, Lourdes would be an interesting day out on the rest day. If you want to do a cheap ski flat, then La Mongie on the Tourmalet would be a good shout. Might be worth doing the odd night there for shower etc if you want to be clean :-)