website to save routes on

piker
piker Posts: 353
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Is there any other sites like bikehike that you can save your routes to,for some reason you cant save or access route database anymore.
Is there a way to save the routes you plot yourself on bikehike.

Comments

• hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Yeah there were some legal issues over the use of saving routes in the site so the chap behind bikehike has to pull the feature from the website. What I do now is plot a route on bikehike and then export as GPX. You can then re open this GPX in bikehike or Google Earth for example.

HTH
  • piker
    Bit thick when it comes to computers,what does export as gpx mean.
  • hoochylala
    Im not looking at the website right now so this is from memory but....

when you click 'save route' you have some options, one of them in so save as a GPX file. a GPX file is a common format for GPS units to use, but this file type can also be opened in Google Earth where it will show you your plotted route over a google map, or as I said you can click 'upload route' or similar in bikehike and then select your GPX file and it will re-show your route you plotted over OS map.

HTH
  • piker
    Cheers will give it a go after,shame about the legal issues as a good site.
  • Bignige
    Bignige Posts: 223
    hoochylala wrote:
    Im not looking at the website right now so this is from memory but....

when you click 'save route' you have some options, one of them in so save as a GPX file. a GPX file is a common format for GPS units to use, but this file type can also be opened in Google Earth where it will show you your plotted route over a google map, or as I said you can click 'upload route' or similar in bikehike and then select your GPX file and it will re-show your route you plotted over OS map.

HTH

Glad you explained that one, nearly had to go and ask my kids then ! :oops:
    Ride it like you stole it.........Yeah Baby!!!

2008 Spesh Enduro SL Expert
    2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 Ltd Edition
  • hoochylala
    No worries :)

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forums/vie ... e+database

Thread with the info in regarding the route database closure from the site owner above if your interested.
  • John Stevenson
    John Stevenson Posts: 962
    edited April 2010
    You can draw and then save a route on bikely.com. There's loads of others.

Pity the bikehike guy's closed his database. I think he got some very poor legal advice.
    John Stevenson
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    Bikely, MapMyRide, Mapometer...the list is endless!
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • hoochylala
    But bikehike sooo much better and wipes the floor with others due to its OS mapping surely?