Taking MTB by train to the Alps?

Tel39
Tel39 Posts: 243
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Just wondered if anyone has taken their pride and joy to the French Alps by train?
Was it ok or a pain in the rear?? Any ideas on fares etc would be good too

Cheers for any info :)
Vis Unita Fortior

Comments

• Tel39
    Cheers for that nonnac85 will have a butchers....Anyone with any personal experience of doing it by train would be helpful too
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    I did it. Train to waterloo, Taxi to eurostar, across to paris, subway across paris to the sleeper to bike village in the alps (bourg st marice? near there..)

I found it very stressful, and quite tiring. If you've got any specific questions, I can answer them, but basically, we're not going to do it again. Mightve been much easier if my bike box had wheels, and I didn't have to carry it everywhere though..
  • Tel39
    RealMan wrote:
    I did it. Train to waterloo, Taxi to eurostar, across to paris, subway across paris to the sleeper to bike village in the alps (bourg st marice? near there..)

I found it very stressful, and quite tiring. If you've got any specific questions, I can answer them, but basically, we're not going to do it again. Mightve been much easier if my bike box had wheels, and I didn't have to carry it everywhere though..

Cheers for that fella. Pretty much thought it would be as you say but still good to hear someones experience of it. I was planning on getting a bike bag with wheels anyway which might make life a bit easier as you suggest.
    Can I ask how long the sleeper journey was from Paris to Bourg st Maurice?
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    I think it was 12-14 hours - although our stop wasn't bourg st maurice, its just the only place I can think of that was near where we did stop. Did manage to get plenty of sleep, but it wasn't great sleep, quite cramped, not really that comfy.

We also got a few discounts as we knew someone who worked for the train company, so I can't help you out with fees, but I'm sure they're on the websites.

And yes, I had a bike bag with wheels (a hardcase), but due to the geometry (who needs a fairly slack head angle anyway..) my bike wouldn't fit, and I had to borrow a soft case from a mate the night before we left.
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    i've done it with snowboarding gear and it wasn't too bad. a bag with wheels makes things a whole lot easier.

i thought it was an awesome way to travel though. i find flying a real ball ache, lots of waiting around and waiting in line. the great thing about the train is your holiday starts the moment you get on the eurostar. take some beers and food, sit back and enjoy the ride to paris. grab a steak in paris then more beers on the overnighter. the overnighter is great in the snowboard season, they have a "disco carriage" where everone takes their beer and gets drunk. even the train staff get involved! last time i did it the train manager was off his nut groping some bird old enough to be his mother. not sure if it's the same in the summer?! and as for sleeping, with enough beers in you it's not that much of a promlem. you also tend to get an extra day or two's riding in as you travel overnight.
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • It's the Metro change in Paris that really messes things up. In winter you can go St Pancras -Bourg St Maurice direct, which would be perfect for the summer.
    Sleeper trains generally get in at 7-8 in the morning having left paris 9.30ish in the evening. They actually travel super-slow to drag the journey out overnight.
    Only a few of our guests are regular train-users and their tips are: Get a taxi across Paris - way less hassle than the metro. Bring ear plugs and a mask for the sleeper train.
    Hope that's useful.
  • kona_matt
    It's the Metro change in Paris that really messes things up.

i can imagine the metro would be a pain. when i've done it for snowboarding the eurostar comes in to gare du nord and the sleeper also leaves from gare du nord so no need for metro.
  • Tel39
    Thanks for the feedback chaps, some really useful info there.
    @ kona_matt, that 'disco carriage' sounds brill, pity its not running in the summer! Just my luck lol
    Am thinking of going late August at the mo so have a reasonable amount of time to organise things. Never biked there before so probably best to book up with a reputable travel/guide company, that many out there though! Any recommendations as to which ones are worth a look would be good?

Cheers again all for the info
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • kona_matt
    Tel39 wrote:
    that 'disco carriage' sounds brill

it is, just need to make sure you're not too drunk my the time it really gets going! fully recommended if you go skiing/snowboarding.