Upgrade 2006 Hardrock Sport Disc OR new 2010 Carrera Kraken

boohoo
boohoo Posts: 7
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

I would like to pick you brains and experience on my options with my bike.

I mainly ride 60% concrete 40% off road. (Off road being, bridal/canal paths, woods and muddy bits of walking paths) - I don't do rocks, single track nor do jumps ( not intentionally). All for recreational purposes.

I currently ride a 06 Hardrock Sport Disc:

(RST Gilla Plus T6 forks, Tektro mechanical disc brakes, Shimano Acera front & rear derailler, Shimano integrated brake & gear levers, with Alex DP-20 rims with Specialized Enduro sport 26"x2.2 wire bead tyres)

I find riding tarmac and uphill slow and painful, esp when trying to get to Epping Forest.

Can you guys suggest some "cheap" upgrades that would improve the tarmac speed (or make the bike lighter), but also keep the bike capable of muddy bits too?

I was thinking of the following in this order:

1) new skinnier tyres?

2) new set of wheels?

3) new forks with a lockout?

I'm new to the bike thing so would also need to get someone to fit these upgrades too...

OR should I just spend £320 (20% off now) on a new 2010 Carerra Kraken? Would this be better for my needs?

After all of the above upgrades, I'm sure I'll have spent close to £300, why not get a new, i'm assuming better bike?

Thanks

Trev

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think I'd sell what you have and go for the Kraken. Then use the surplus to get some nice light tyres.
  • boohoo
    Hi supersonic, thanks for responding. I've just put on some Bontrager Jones Acx 2.1 on the front and Spec Fast Trek LK 2.0 on the rears. Didn't get a chance to test them out properly, since I had the old tyres slung over the should/head on the way back. But so far it would seem the bike responds much better on tarmac. And by the looks of things I've managed to shave off about 400g off the front and about 300g off the back.

I might hold off on the Kraken for now... will be starting a new job in a few weeks time, and they got a C2W scheme, so will investigate that option.

The LBS Bike Trax in East London, mentioned the current Kraken's aren't as good as they were a few years back and won't be much of an upgrade to my current Hardrock. For a proper upgrade I'm gonna have to spend some real cash in the £600+ group I guess.

Also just found out the turbo in the car died, so may need to divert lots of cash towards a new one :(

Cheers.
  • supersonic
    Doesn't sound like BikeTrax knows lol - the Kraken is much better than it was a few years back! It would be a good upgrade from what you have but of course the money would buy some nice new wheels a new fork.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Are you sure you want a mountain bike? I'd consider this...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165534

Or something similiar. Basically a mtb-flavoured hybrid. Might sound daft but it's cheaper and will be lighter than the Kraken and has a generally similiar spec (worse drivetrain though but that's OK, it's only drivetrain). I had/still have I guess a 2008 Kraken and it's surprisingly good but the fork really isn't much cop, so if you don't absolutely need suspension there's not much point in dragging it around.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... way-1-8831

Alternatively, I'd consider sticking rigids and faster tyres on what you have, depending on how good nick all the consumables are, and maybe some other nicer bits.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    Are you sure you want a mountain bike? I'd consider this...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165534

Or something similiar. Basically a mtb-flavoured hybrid. Might sound daft but it's cheaper and will be lighter than the Kraken and has a generally similiar spec (worse drivetrain though but that's OK, it's only drivetrain). I had/still have I guess a 2008 Kraken and it's surprisingly good but the fork really isn't much cop, so if you don't absolutely need suspension there's not much point in dragging it around.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... way-1-8831
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    The Kraken is actually lighter than that Subway! And far better specced.
  • Northwind
    Is it really :lol: Fair play then! It didn't feel it when I rode one. The spec is different but apart from the brakes mostly it's stuff that wouldn't make much difference.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    Though I guess the ancillaries on the Subway add some.

14kg vs 13.64kg (claimed)
  • Northwind
    Impressive :lol: Completely surprised by that.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    If you want some slick-ish tyres, then Kenda Kommuters are a good choice - they cost about £11-£13 and have lasted me about 1200KM. They are fairly puncture resistant as well.
  • boohoo
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I think for now, I'll stick with the new tyres they seem to have made a vast improvement on tarmac. Off road handling hasn't been compromised too much, the back slides out a little, which adds to the fun :)

When I start the new company, i'll check out which C2W they run and may look into upgrading the whole bike to a upper price bracket.

I'm not sure about the Hybrids... I do prefer the styling of mtb just not the weight or lack of speed on tarmac.

Cheers
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    boohoo wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I think for now, I'll stick with the new tyres they seem to have made a vast improvement on tarmac. Off road handling hasn't been compromised too much, the back slides out a little, which adds to the fun :)

When I start the new company, i'll check out which C2W they run and may look into upgrading the whole bike to a upper price bracket.

I'm not sure about the Hybrids... I do prefer the styling of mtb just not the weight or lack of speed on tarmac.

Cheers

How about a... cyclo-cross bike? Can get a pretty reasonable one for about £600-£800. Which would be ~ £300-£500 with the C2W scheme - depending on how much you get off and how it is set up.