Much respect to Txurruka

Pokerface
Pokerface Posts: 7,960
edited April 2010 in Pro race
Txurruka, who crashed badly on a fast decent (while on a break and in the lead), broke his collarbone in the fall.

But, he got up and finished the stage.

And he got enough points to take the Mountains jersey.

Today is the final timetrial - and he wants to ride it with his broken collarbone - so can can finish the race with the Mountains jersey.

I say - much respect for that. I watched the crash live and it wasn't pretty. Surprised he got up at all, let along finished the stage!

Comments

• tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    Definitely. He looked gutted when he came off.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Is there a time limit?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    That is pretty damn impressive. Unlikely to find so many athletes with this type of mentality in any other sport. Road Cycling puts every other sport under the ground for many human qualities.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pokerface
    Is there a time limit?

I was thinking the same thing. 20% rule still applies I believe (is it 20%!?). So he has to ride hard-ish. I assume he's use a road bike though. Not sure you can support your weight on aero bars with a broken collarbone!
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It'll be very difficult but there are degrees of the break, you can have a clean cut or a small fracture. With some supportive bandaging, some ice and more he could do it but the risk is he inflames the injury and so rules himself out for longer. He's the moral victor already so I'd think twice; but I'd certainly try if it was possible.
  • Pokerface
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Imagine going downhill will be the hardest bit, especially if there are sharp corners, sharp braking etc.
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    It looked like a very hard fall - no skid, no slide just straight into the tarmac. Total respect that he fnished
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    That last climb was super steep...must have been painful:

Reuters
    carrera-eibar-orio-13.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    You could tell his CB was shot, right after he hit the tarmac. His reaction was clear.
    Hopefully, he'll manage the 22kms and that his preparation for the Tour isn't ruined by this injury. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Big respect, i'd be off the bike for weeks.

I truly hope he makes it in the TT!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Txurruka out.

Euskaltel Euskadi rider Amets Txurruka not take the exit on the sixth and final stage of the Tour of the Basque Country. :(
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    If he does ride to the finish, even if outside of the limit they should be able to waive the rule under the circumstances

Didn't that happen with Sherwen years ago when he fell early in a Tour stage but because he dug deep into the suitcase of courage they allowed him to remain in the race despite finishing behind the limit?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    That was an epic stage yesterday - that 20% incline was at the top of a 5km climb! Txurruka suffered the curse of the commentator too - just as Harmon announced an improvement in his descending skills he crashed!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    That was an epic stage yesterday - that 20% incline was at the top of a 5km climb! Txurruka suffered the curse of the commentator too - just as Harmon announced an improvement in his descending skills he crashed!

That's quite funny. Are there replays of this with the commentary with it? Does anyone have a link?

Tough bloke though, if only they were all that crazy. Txurruka has my seal of approval.

stage15_contador_gallery__520x400.jpg
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    Absolutely gutted for him. Losing the possibility of a stage win, mountain jersey and collarbone in one corner. He was making that stage much more exciting. Really brave rider, hope to see him back racing soon.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Monty Dog wrote:

It was a great stage. Been a good race overall really, some great attacking rides. I was just peeved that Rodriguez decided to win a stage after i'd picked him for the previous 2 mountain stages in the PTP.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    If he does ride to the finish, even if outside of the limit they should be able to waive the rule under the circumstances

Didn't that happen with Sherwen years ago when he fell early in a Tour stage but because he dug deep into the suitcase of courage they allowed him to remain in the race despite finishing behind the limit?

Yes, correct. I think he had to pull out the next day anyway, but honour was satisfied.