New M520 pedal problem

ForumNewbie
ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
edited April 2010 in Workshop
I've never tried clipless pedals before but I finally got round to fitting a pair of M520 pedals I bought a few weeks ago to my Audax bike tonight. Unfortunately I think I've cocked up and adjusted one of the tension screws the wrong way. I seem to have tightened the spring on one of the sides too much and lost the thread as it won't loosen again. My cleat just won't engage in that side of the pedal at all so I don't think it's safe to ride with only one side of the left pedal clipping in. This after problems with my new hybrid, so it's not been a good bike week for me :(

Is there any way that a bike shop could fix the pedal or am I best to just write off the £25 to carelessness, and buy another set of clip-in pedals?

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Dunno what you can do, but if you decide to replace them then go to Chainreactioncycles - they're only £18.49.
    More problems but still living....
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    Ive just bought a pair of M520 (minus cleats) off ebay for £12.99 free p&p
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • ForumNewbie
    I've now had a couple of short rides clipped-in to the M520s and thankfully not fallen off yet. Even although one side of the left pedal is not working, this is the foot I tend to keep in most of the time and therefore only use the working side of the pedal. However I am panicing a bit stopping as I have problems disengaging the right pedal at the top of the crank turn - i.e. when slowing down to stop I want to release my foot when the pedal is at it highest point. However due to an old foot injury my right foot doesn't twist as much as it should and while I can disengage it at the pedal's lowest point when my leg is straight, I can't seem to do it at the top when my leg is bent and I therefore get a bit flustered especially if I need to get out of the pedal quickly.

It just seems more natural to me to want to come out of the pedal at the top when I slow down as it seems eaier to dismount quickly that way. Do most cyclists release when the pedal is at the top of the turn when stopping?

For the M520s should I buy the type of cleats where you can twist all directions to release as I just seem to have a problem twisting my right foot enough to the right?
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    I always unclip the left pedal first and at the bottom of the stroke. You need to unclip early if your getting worried. If you ride a regular route try setting a point where you unclip when approaching traffic lights etc. It will become second nature eventually.
    I unclip the left first as that is generally the "non traffic" side and if for any reason my foot gets stuck then i will fall onto the footpath and not in front of a car.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have the multi-release cleats on my M540's cos I like the float.

Added benefit is that if I ever get into a blind panic I can get out by pulling in any direction, and in the event of a spill I should separate from the bike.

Never unclipped accidentally.

I always unclip left and keep right clipped in. I'm not sure where in the stroke; I'll have a look tonight.
  • ForumNewbie
    Thanks for the advice. I should get into the habit of unclipping left pedal first as it's kerb side. I'll see if I can get the pedal fixed so both sides are working.

I went out again tonight for a quick 6.5 mile circuit. At busy roundabout I unclipped early and pedalled up to it and through with just with my left foot clipped-in and my right foot resting on pedal in case I needed to put my foot down in a hurry. Not ideal as a bit slow but still not confident in these situations that I can stop and unclip quickly yet.

I think I'll maybe try the multi-release cleats. Presumably these below would do although buying them on their own at £15 is nearly as much as buying the pedals with cleats included:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=10969
    If I can't get my left pedal fixed I might have to buy new pedals anyway. Am I right in thinking all new pedals seem to come with the single relase cleats?
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Am I right in thinking all new pedals seem to come with the single relase cleats?

Yes.
    Cycling weakly