Winter Hack to Summer Ride- When?

autobahn
autobahn Posts: 114
edited June 2010 in Road beginners
The forecast for the weekend looks good which has led me to ask anyone lucky enough to have 2 rides, when do you stop using your winter bike and bring out your pride and joy?
Perhaps you have already? Do you decide on the morning dependent on weather? Do you hit a certain date and one bike goes away and the other comes out until Sept/Oct? Interested to know what peoples habits are.

Comments

• Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    When my nuts start itching, that's a good sign Spring is here. I don't do dates, if it rains the crap bike comes out, if it's sunny the good bike comes out.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Weather dependant for me too, and a lack of surface water on the roads.

Looking forward to getting my Orca out soon. Only had 1 ride since I bought it last Summer (I had shoulder surgery just after this).
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    When the puddles dry up 8)
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    May when it's short sleeve top and shorts time so I can try out my Sidi Ergo 2 carbon shoes and the new Trek carbon OCLV bike with 11 speed group set that I built up a couple of months ago. :wink:
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Bunneh wrote:
    When my nuts start itching, that's a good sign Spring is here. I don't do dates, if it rains the crap bike comes out, if it's sunny the good bike comes out.

+1 as well: -

Wet Weather - Training Bike
    Dry Good Weather - Best Bike
    Frozen/Ice - Turbo Bike
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Brought the 'Summer' bike out on the 24th March... Beautiful and dry. :wink:
    I'll ride it as long as the road stays dry.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    I'm on it today. Along with Bibshorts and cycling top. Not even a base layer! It's getting warmer!!!

Fixed Gear - Standing water or rain + commuting to work
    Summer Bike - Dry weather and temp abouve 7 or 8 degree's (I.e. Certainly no grit on the road) Commute or Club run.
    Geared winter bike - Standing water and rain + club run
    Mountain Bike - Snow!

:D
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    BenBlyth wrote:
    I'm on it today. Along with Bibshorts and cycling top. Not even a base layer! It's getting warmer!!!

Fixed Gear - Standing water or rain + commuting to work
    Summer Bike - Dry weather and temp abouve 7 or 8 degree's (I.e. Certainly no grit on the road) Commute or Club run.
    Geared winter bike - Standing water and rain + club run
    Mountain Bike - Snow!

:D

+1 For me, been out in shorts and short sleeved top today, lovely

use my best bike through the year as long as the roads are dry, otherwise I will use the hybrid with mudgards
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I don't use my good bike from when the roads start getting gritted, usually november, until the last of the grit is washed away, usually early April. Water doesn't bother me or the bike so I'll be on the good bike now until november. If its wet I'll probably stick some cruds on (only takes 5 minutes).
    More problems but still living....
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    good bike today, short sleves and shorts to, makes all the winter training worth while, loving every moment!
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • Edit : oopps posted in the wrong place.