Your Dream Bike - Whats Holding You back?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited April 2010 in MTB general
My dream bike is the Trek 8500 and I already have some upgrades in mind, but this is way out of my league, it's too much! I'm 14 and I can't get a job, so how am I meant to pay for it?

What's your dream bike? Whats holding you back? Or do you have your dream bike?

Comments

• Lapierre zesty 514

The fact im a full time student with bills and rent to pay. I can't even afford to buy myself a nice shiny new play toy.

It will be a long time until i can afford anything like a dream bike unless i somehow manage to get a very nicely paid job after I graduate.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • Alienman
    Alienman Posts: 91
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro Carbon

What's holding me back is the fact that I am a university student and thus have no money. And I just recently purchased my first bike (a little less expensive as an introduction to the sport) so can't justify buying a another bike already.
    Then there is the whole girlfriend saying that I will never be able to afford one and it would be ridiculous.
    '09 Rocky Mountain Fusion
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Intense Socom with Boxxer WCs and XTR/Saint drivetrain...

Holding me back? THe £4k + that it will cost me!!! :lol:
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    I'd love one of these :)
    evil-revolt-dh-%5B4%5D-6017-p.jpg

but like everyone else would say its all down to money :(

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Not much really :P
    I know what I want but know it will cost a fortune, I'm in no rush though as it takes time to make something perfect :)
    I'll probably buy the frame in a few months though hehe.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Err Nothing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Santa Cruz Nomad with full Sram X0 and DT wheels and Fox shocks...

The fact that I am only 14 and have no job is the reason why I am using a 6 year old Stumpy FSR.

I am getting a new frame for my birthday next month though :D To bad it won't be a Nomad :wink:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited April 2010
    I pretty much have one of them, my Soul's almost my dream hardtail :lol: The only weak link is that it's last year's model so built for 130mm not 140mm forks, if I could chop the frame and fork in for a decent amount and get this year's frame (or a Soda, hmm...) and a Revelation Team 140mm for it, then that'd be perfect. But it's very, very close.

What holds me back from my dream full suss? Well, the one I have is really nice, it'd cost a lot to get it up that last 10% or whatever and I can't see as much point. It was built for a job which it does really well, so that's a result. Not the stuff of dreams but pretty good when you're awake ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    The Mojo was my dream bike, I just dreamt of it being sunnier so I could ride it more. The Meta goes out when it's muddy, poor thing. Picking upa cyclocross bike on Saturday, then I feel like I've hit a zen like state of not wanting any more bikes at the moment.

The cyclocross lets me commute in, go touring a bit and toy about with road riding, yet not have to go to the other end of the bike spectrum \o/
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    Whyte E120 XX.

I have the frame...just need to save my pennies for the SRAM XX bits and peices. Yeah I know I just should have bought an off the peg E120 XX but where's the fun in that?
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i have two really. one build will be under way by the ned of the year, thats is a scott, voltage fr frame, totem forks, saint/slx/sram drivetrain,wide bars, short stem, small seatpost and saddle, fox dhx shock, dt swiss rims on hope pro 2s

then one which doubt will ever happen is a yeti 303 rdh, full saint groupset, fox 40 forks, straitline bits, race face atlas bars, dt swiss wheels, thomson seatpost, sdg saddle and other pimpy stuff

the first one nothing is holding me back tbh,just matter of saving enough to build one as i'm 14 and have only a paper round and a leaflet delivery job every 3 weeks, the second one, well if i ever had over 4 grand spare then i will
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    jay12 wrote:
    just matter of saving enough to build one as i'm 14l

You know what I had when I was 14? FEET. And not even dream feet at that, just regular ones. ****ing kids :lol:

(just kidding!)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • lugsey2k5
    lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
    You students just need to be more resourceful. i have my dream bike my LAPIERRE ZESTY 514 XL and im a student. little does my sister know but she is now short several pieces of bedroom furniture sold on ebay while she is at uni. i also bought me a job lot of electric heaters last summer and with the snow this year i made a killing on them. the rest has been borrowed off a friend untill the student loan comes in 11 days time. Thank you tax payers:)

you just need to think out side the box
  • Well i was saving a tidy sum but then, i paid for a trip to Amsterdam, a trip to Salou and summer break to Newquay.

Im now running quite short of funds after also having to take a shed load of drinking money for the first two and having to save some more for the upcoming summer break. Petrol is also killing me this holiday.

Now im re-saving in order to buy a new bike as i feel its about time i got a bit of a better one as my current one is on its last legs i feel, it can then be used as a hack bike, which i would love.

I love being a student!
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • I had my dream bike for six months 2009 s works enduro,untill some twonk side swiped my car on the way to cannock chase,ripped it right of my bike rack sent it flying down the road Cracked the frame,then went on about the damage to his car 15 year old golf I could have bought about 4 of his cars For what I paid for my bike Shame great bike.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    My dream bike is a full downhill build on a mythic morphine frame, it's only the lack of cash, lack of skill and lack of ability to get anywhere to ride it hold me back :wink:
    Or a Giant STP0 which is close enough and is usable localy 8) and a ruggedised teocali for longer jaunts, which have both :D
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Unarce
    Unarce Posts: 16
    Nothing anymore! After a very long wait, I finally found a Kitsuma last year and jumped on the opportunity!

Hope you all find your quarry!
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    north-sure wrote:
    a trip to Salou

And there's your fatal error! :lol:

Not sure I have a dream bike at the moment, if I had the money I'd probably spend it on my Anthem at the moment.

I do have a bit of a lusting for a Cannondale Flash and an Ibis Mojo though...
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    The list of dream bikes I want is staggering.

I've love a Laperrier DH, an Evil Revolt AND a Trek 88, but I've got a Shocker I love.

But my current object of desire is the new Cove G-Spot, they keep teasing me by posting pics of half finsihed frames on FB, I guess they'll be in shops over here in a few months, then is *just* a case of raising 3-4k to buy and build it. Still never stopped me before.

There's a lot of advantages of being 32!
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I have no idea what it is.

I'm not as 'into' bikes as many on here... i know very little about the differences etc.
  • My ideal bike for summer MTB is a Nicolai Helius AM , with SRAM XX

My ideal winter MTB would be a Nicolai Argon FR belt drive with Rohloff

My ideal commuting bike would be a cotic roadrat with alfine belt drive and a drop shifter

My ideal road bike would be a harder choice however, probably want 2 One for sportives and one for shorter faster rides.

5 bikes isnt greedy is it? Oh and a simple singlespeed hack for nipping into the bike shop in town on and towing the tag along

PS - Money holding me back from all bar the first one, permission has been acquired for number 1 ,once I move house that is :(

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    That carbon SC Nomad someone posted a little while back....it is now my main aim in life to get that bike at some point. recon it would cost about 5k to do it properly, which I could probably stretch to if I really, really wanted it, but I'd have to live on a diet of rice and beans for the whole year, plus I really do need to buy a car. No point in having a awesome bike if you can't afford to take it to good riding areas!

which is why my budget for this year is going to go less on bikes, parts and bling and more on going to new places like Wales, Scotland etc.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    my own frame design.....I haven't got the tools to make it
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Absolute dream bike would be a Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon, Yeti ASR 5 or a Scott Spark. I though the Spark would be too twitchy and fragile and 'racey', but I demoed one and absolutely loved it.

The thing stopping me? Like everyone else, money! The Boardman Pro I've got isn't exactly a bad bike and it's great for most of my riding. And at the moment I've got other things to spend it on.

Also, am I the only person who doesn't like the look of the Ibiseseses?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    I bought my dream bikes, the problem now is there is always another dream product to aspire to :?
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Dream bike? Santa Cruz Chameleon built up exactly how I want it. I'm also a full time student. What's holding me back? Nothing at all.

Image0052.jpg
  • bails87
    RealMan
    So you've got a decent job, still living at home, or mummy and daddy are funding uni?

That or you've murdered some elderly relatives after getting them to change the will :wink:
    MTB/CX

• RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Well I'm still in college, so yes, am living at home at the moment. My mum and dad help me out when they can, but they're not rich. I don't have a full time job, as with college, biking, badminton, and boxing and trying to have a social life I don't have much time, but I try to pick up work during the holidays, and save up lots.

I've got my sights on a new road bike too..
  • bails87
    Ah, I thought you meant uni.

Your mum and dad bought the bike then :wink:
    MTB/CX