Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

malcom mclaren rip

edited April 2010 in The bottom bracket
never really liked him but was a big mover in the british newyork punk movement,not all for the best.

• tonyw43tonyw43 Posts: 249
    Ghosts of Oxford Street will always remain with me because of Mr Mclarren. RIP
  • markos1963markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    So sad, now I feel really old now my boyhood heros are starting to pass away. :cry:
  • wiffachipwiffachip Posts: 861
    should be some good stuff on the telly anyway
  • First Bill, now Malcolm. Not been such a good year for the F1 team either.
  • Ho humHo hum Posts: 236
    Below average age for a bloke, but I bet he had a bloody good life when he was alive :)
  • protoproto Posts: 1,483
    Complete and absolute knob. An ego the size of Mars, and quite delusional in terms of his achievements. Not sorry to see him go.

SteppenHerring: :lol::lol:
  • nicensleazynicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    I met him once, can't say I would like to repeat the experience!
  • Tom ButcherTom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    He had style.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • He gave us the "SEX" shop with Vivienne Westwood, The Sex Pistols, Adam & The Ants (sort of), Bow Wow Wow, Duck Rock, Madame Butterfly Re-Invented (giving the world the genius that was/is Stephen Hague), and turned the world on to skipping (Double Dutch).
    He was even gonna run for London Mayor at one point if I remember correctly.
    He was a Class-A Prat, but a genius at the same time.
    RIP MM
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • Love him or hate him (most people probably did both!) we could do with a few Malcom's around the music biz these days instead of [email protected] like Cowell.

You can just imagine the faces as he walked through those pearly gates!!!

Proper legend.
  • oscarbudgieoscarbudgie Posts: 850
    Love him or hate him (most people probably did both!) we could do with a few Malcom's around the music biz these days instead of [email protected] like Cowell.

Proper legend.

+1

Mclaren was a censored but stil infinitely preferable to [email protected] like Cowell
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Sonny73Sonny73 Posts: 2,604
    Love him or hate him (most people probably did both!) we could do with a few Malcom's around the music biz these days instead of [email protected] like Cowell.

Proper legend.

+1 a genuine creative leader IMO, RIP.
  • Heckler1974Heckler1974 Posts: 479
    Interesting that Lydon has mellowed enough to pay him at least a nod of respect now he's gone. Undoubtedly someone who represents an era and to an extent helped define it, but if I were to apply the criteria of 'Is this a guy I'd buy a drink for if I saw him in a pub' I'd have to say no, he wasn't by all accounts a particularly nice fella.
  • BobbinogsBobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, the guy was undoubtedly a bit of a censored but I don't think it is an exageration to say that he played his part in changing the world music scene, leading to the download era and a 'do it yourself' mentality. I don't think he meant all this (and he certainly only played a bit part in any case) but the net effects are the same.

I find it all a bit erie because all my boyhood references appear to be dying off (the Ramones gang, Jo Strummer, McLaren, etc.). Ho hum.
  • giant_mangiant_man Posts: 6,878

Proper legend.

+1

Mclaren was a censored but stil infinitely preferable to [email protected] like Cowell

+2 absolutely
  • Frank the tankFrank the tank Posts: 6,553

Proper legend.

+1

+2 absolutely

+3 Not my cup of tea (liked Buffalo Gals) But the music industry has been totally suffocated by the likes of Cowell and all the sausage machine dross he turns out.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • nicensleazynicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    Pricks like Simon cowell could only dream of achieving a legacy like Malcolm Mclaren.....Anarchy in the clouds!!!!
  • tebbittebbit Posts: 604
    Agreed the world was a better place for him and people like him in it.

+4