Bargain brakes.......

JAKBLADE
JAKBLADE Posts: 336
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Ribble cycles are selling SLX M665 brakes at £50.96 each and XT m775's at £64.56 each....both without rotors tho.....Is this a deal or not??How do these brakes compre with Avid's, Hope's etc????????
Project Finished....On-one Inbred..
Specialized Hardrock A1 Comp FS(1999-2000)
Carrera Subway 2 (for work)
Hoffman BMX (please don't hold this one against me!!)

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Depends what you are using them for XC/FR/DH etc...the XT are great but the rotors will cost another £30...if its only for XC the Avids are great..you can get a complete set of juicy 3 inc rotors for £100 from Merlin or the new Elixir 5's all in for £135...

I guess its for the inbred so it's a mater of preference...the XT if you can stump up £160 or the Elixirs are a good price...Merlin and Rutland usually have some good deals
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I really like my XTs, they're not massively powerful but they work so well. It just depends, if you already have suitable discs then these deals save you having to pay for something you don't need, and it's a very good price by today's standards I reckon.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    Once you add the cost of rotors you might aswell just go for the Elixir 5's.
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    I have been running SLX brakes for 3 months and I'm massively impressed. Modulation and power are both as much as I will ever need on a HT. They seem bombproof and the finish / build is quite impressive. I bought my full set from Merlin with 160 CL Deore rotors for £280 in the january sale... that price also included a set of MT65 wheels...
    You can buy Deore rotors for less £10 at CRC. They are as good as more expensive discs and about the same weight.
  • JAKBLADE
    JAKBLADE Posts: 336
    Cheers guys, I already have a 203mm Avid disc for the front and a 185mm Avid disc for the rear, also have a 185mm Ashima but with me being a big lad the Ashima looks a bit fragile. So rotors isn't a problem unless these discs aren't compatable withShimano calipers!!!!!
    Project Finished....On-one Inbred..
    Specialized Hardrock A1 Comp FS(1999-2000)
    Carrera Subway 2 (for work)
    Hoffman BMX (please don't hold this one against me!!)
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I love my XT brakes, best feeling brakes I've had by a mile, very easy to bleed/top up as well. The only downside for me is they're quite hefty compared to a lot of the competition.