SPDs / Cleats Questions

t121anf
t121anf Posts: 31
edited April 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
finally got round to fitting my SPDs nowI have some Crivitt Shoes (lidl specials).

A couple of questions.

I went out yesterday with SPD on one side and flat on the other (on each pedal not spd on left, flat on the right lol) and noticed that I had a lot of play left to right in that I could twist my foot on the pedal, handy for looking over my shoulder. Is this correct or does the pedal require adjusting?

The cleat, when walking in the shoes i have noticed the front must be hitting the floor and clicking, i presume this is normal or again should I be adjusting the position? my experience of people wearing cleated shoes they do normally sound like tap dancers (plenty of the at Hartside Cafe when i'm up on my motorbike)

Lastly,
i removed the flat from the pedals after the ride as I found spds great, got to get used to them but better than flats, i then went for a test ride, pulled up on my drive and found i couldn't get my foot out and fell onto the garden, i found it rather funny but my poor daffodils didn't, is this a sign that i need to adjust the pedal?

Thanks in advance.
Ian

Comments

• neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    New cleats tend to be harder to release and as they wear get looser. You need to adjust the release tension in the pedal to make it easier for you.

Have you adjusted the tension in the pedal to it's lowest setting? This changes how easy or hard it is to unclip.

Lean against a wall or fence and practise clipping in and out with no risk of falling over. It may help your confidence to fit Shimano multi release cleats initially as you can unclip in several different directions.
  • t121anf
    i was ok, till i removed the flats, so i suspect its that side that requires adjustment.

i'll have another play tonight when i get in
  • lugsey2k5
    lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
    that sideways play is ment to be there gives you some freedom and stops knee damage as everyone's body suits a slightly different foot angle.
  • t121anf
    went out yesterday and i must have been using the "flat" side of the pedal and the sideways play was a lot less and much better for it.

i think its a case of learning to plan to remove my foot so i dont fall over.

only other issue i have is that the cleat came slack on my right foot which was a bit of a pain.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    t121anf wrote:
    went out yesterday and i must have been using the "flat" side of the pedal and the sideways play was a lot less and much better for it.

i think its a case of learning to plan to remove my foot so i dont fall over.

only other issue i have is that the cleat came slack on my right foot which was a bit of a pain.
    The sideways play is called "float" - Shimano SPD's have 5 degrees of float, it doesn't alter with the pedal tension setting, that merely makes it easier or harder to release.

You do need to do the cleat bolts up very firmly, a loose cleat is a sure way to get a "clipless moment".

My tip is to always unclip left and lean left, if you do this you get "muscle memory" and you won't unclip one side and lean the other.