New bike shop business...

paulscutt
paulscutt Posts: 332
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of setting up an online bike shop (predominantly mtb) and wanted to know whether there is anything that you feel isn't covered/sold or a service not currently provided in which you would find handy?

I'm also adding a brief poll to see what is more important to you when choosing what store to use for mail order bike goods.

All advice greatly appreciated!!

Happy riding, Paul.
**2009 Trek Remedy 8**

Specialized P.3 (custom) w/ Deore hydro discs, XT group, Blackspire device, Mavic D321's

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I don't mind paying postage if the price is still lower overall. Although the perception of free postage is more important than anything :)

Clothing i've found is better to try and test before buying which makes on-line clothes shopping tough.

problem for you mostly is being cheaper than most places and having them in stock
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Price and reliability. You also need to make sure you have accurate stock information.

Good Luck

edit- Size charts are a good idea too
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    For me Customer service is key to a sucessful business.

You need to have the quality returns process as well and also make sure that any queries are answered within reasonable timescales. Nothing worse than waiting hours for a reply from an email or not even getting that response.

Think it has been mentioned before as well, that you need to get some accurate stock levels on the site and free P&P is good but not essential.

Good luck!
    It's been a while...
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    I'd say all of the things that you have put in your poll, except the freebies bit. That's nice, but doesn't draw me to a website.

I think people shop around for the best price, including P&P and then use whatever they find. Also, as Graydawg said, a good quality returns process (which is part of the Customer Service) where people are polite, informative and prepared to help whenever possible.

Good luck!
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • bobcheese
    bobcheese Posts: 343
    Customer service for me. Its all well and good having the cheapest parts etc but you have to have a good returns policy & order tracking info so people know where they stand.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mmm how do think you may offer better prices than CRC? or Wiggle?

you will not.

If you are hoping to make a living of it you will not.

expect to have a full time job and do this in the evenings and weekends and have no other life for a few years.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Several factors interest me,in order of importance

1. High level of customer service
    2. Price
    3. Speed of delivery
    4. good website,user friendly with impartial customer reviews
    5. price matching is good for the customer,not so for a small seller
    6. Option of paying with paypal is useful

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • My penny's worth...

With so many established and reputable online shops around (for example Wiggle, CRC, Evans) I would think you need to forget about competing with these guys (at least initially).

With so miuch business completed on t'interweb these days, you need a professional & user-friendly website - some stat's I once read somewhere along the lines of: if a potential customer can't find what they want within a few clicks then they'll just go somewhere else. And probably never come back to you.

The internet has evolved into a highly competitive arena, and I personally don't believe that customers are, in general, particularly loyal if the price is right elsewhere.

Personally, for generic off-the-shelf parts I just search for the cheapest retailer because I know the product will be the same wherever it's from.

However, I do return to tried and trusted vendors for items requiring skill and knowledge to supply, for example wheel builds and suspension servicing, even if it means paying a little bit more.

As previous posts have stated, ultimately success will stand or fall on the quality and reputation of customer service. Customer perception is a powerful ally for a business - get it right and people will return and recommendations will expand your customer base, get it wrong and you will probably never see that customer again...

You need to find an angle that makes your website & services stand out from the crowd.
    Not sure exactly what might be a suggestion though :-) ... possibly cater for some of the niche areas of the market rather than the mass-market ...

One business behaviour that is tricky to achieve, but is significant, is to make your customers feel valued. Can you find something that makes a customers interaction with you memorable so that you're top of the list next time. Easier said than done.

All the best!
    Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    For an online shop, price. I am in a lucky position of knowing quite well what I am after, and rarely need advice. But I know this is essential for others.

I like paypal too. So quick, don't even have to register with the bike site in some cases. Plus protected.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    good customer service will keep people coming back especially when paired with speedy and reliable delivery

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Reliability. If the website says something is in stock and I buy it, I don't expect an email saying that actually it's not in stock, and there'll be a wait. I like that Wiggle give an up-to-date stock count on items.

Like others have said, there is an awful lot of competition here from people who will be able to sell parts cheaper than you. Good luck all the same.
  • Elliot Ross
    Elliot Ross Posts: 182
    i would say all of the above apart from the freebies one, free postage and packaging is definatly a plus for me :!:
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Good luck competing against the larger companies, unless you can find something that you can offer that they cant then you'll find it tough.

Copying them is no good (all of the above poll suggestions are pretty much what they offer), you need an edge.
  • Hmmmm !

I,m not sure what i can say that the other experienced posters have not already said.

I do use CRC for bike parts and have spent thousands with them over the past 6 years,
    Not once have i had a bad experience, you would be hard pushed to get me to come across to be fair however new potential customers could well stay loyal to you and you would have repeat business IF you can meet or exceed their level of service !

For instance: Tuesday afternoon order HOPE brakes first thing Thursday Morning knock on the door.
    For me all above are important, if i want to ride and i cant get the bit i need i will continue scowering the web till i get hold of it, i will pay postage and have paid over the odds but CRC 99% of the time negates this for me.

What ever you choose Be Bold Focus on Cust care and they wll retur.

Personally i,ve always had the notion that i would one day open a bike shop with a Cafe bolted on !
    Nowadays everyone seems to be doing it except me !

Good look !