Superstar VS Hope

housemunkey
housemunkey Posts: 237
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking into some new wheels and would be interested in peoples opinion on the Superstar Superleggera/Superfast hub combo versus Hope Pro2.

You can get either hub combo built up on 717's and similar spokes for about the same money (~250 quid).The Superleggera hub has a faster engagement and the freehub is less noisy, but I've heard of reliability issues. The Pro2 should be solid I think, but is bloody noisy (is this good though?) and has a slower engagement.

I'm torn, so your opinions on this would be great!

Comments

• llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12674124&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Might be worth having a read through here, I've been going through quite a few wheel options lately :lol:
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    i have hope and there awsome the niose dies down after a while. and i am sure i seen the guy in the shop lube them and it went even more silent
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    No probs with my superstar jobs, seen plenty pro2's split in half (rear hub), if you are going for hope i'd seriously consider the pro3's, haven't heard any negative things yet, apart from the racket they make :D . Superstar 120 point engagement is the dogs danglies.
  • Had my Pro 2's for 4 years now with mavic xc717 then xm819. I cannot fault the hub, the only faults I have seen are pawl spring failures but not had this myself. I changed them after 2 years. They have seen plenty of hard rocky "all mountain" riding in the lakes nearly every week and a trip to the sierra nevada mountains in Spain.

Bearings are very easy to replace. I can also use my 200mm front hub for 15mm with the swap of a spacer. Plenty of guys I ride with use hope and no big issues. Also plenty of evidence have a good attitude to warranty claims.

Also they are in Lancashire :) I like to keep my coin in the county where possible. (says the man with a German road bike.... )

Superstar review for balance http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... a-xc-32194

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • housemunkey
    Well I can't say much for keeping the money in the county, Lancashire, pft! YORKSHIRE is where its at mate lol. But I suppose the northerners have to stick together against the nancies!

I think I'm edging towards the Pro2's partly cos I'm a tart and they come in blue and the Superleggera's don't! 8)

I like the Pro3 SP's but then you don't get a choice of colour and you have to have Hope Hoops.

I reckon I'll quite like the racket the Hope's make. What kind of noise do the Superleggera's make stu? I read that review but would be interested to hear from someone who owns them.

Cheers for the help for far guys! I might make a decision eventually!!
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    What kind of noise do the Superleggera's make stu?
    Think angry wasp :lol:
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    Neither. You can get some "fit and forget" Shimano MT65 for £185 from Merlin.
    They are 1795 grams (mine are anyway), so maybe 50g more than the the Superstar once you've put tapes on them (the Shimanos are UST). The rear hub is 100% silent, which is great.I am 100kgs with all the gear and they are still true after 1000 miles, however hard I try to break them. Astounding, or maybe not considering they are Shimano. I like Superstar consumables, but for wheels ? Really ?
  • Are the shimano cup and cone? Was considering some XT UST but I am too lazy to tweak cup and cone. Prefer cartridge. I should probably learn some patience

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    if your worried about the noise of the Hopes you can easily remove the free hub and put a little grease / thick oil on the paws...quietens them down no end.
    I had some Pro2s and they were near silent B-)
    Oh and Hope have customer service second to none !
  • housemunkey
    I think its going to be the hopes. I've weighed them up and with the spec I chose they should be sub 1600g. I'm only about 70kg so not so worried that they will fold under me.

I think I would much prefer custom built wheels, cos you can always get what you want, factory wheels are good but you almost always have to compromise.

Cheers for the help guys, I think the Pro2's have it!
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I've 2 pairs of got Hope Hoops, one being Pro IIs and Stans 355 rims. They come in at 1685g and the Stan's rim is about 65g lighter per end. Wheels are rarely as easy as adding up the weight of the parts (unfortunately).

On a similar note, have you considered the Stan's rims? The 355s are worth more cash, but available at the same price if you're buying a Hope Hoop deal, lighter, easier to convert tubeless (only need yellow tape), wider (19mm internal), flawless reviews.

As for the Shimano wheels, if they're anything like the 24 spoke XT wheels I had in the past they're not the most indestructable of things. 24 thin spokes, so less weight on spokes, more on the rim and hub. The wheels may only weigh 1795g, but then the centerlock rotors add another ~50g to the set over 6 bolt wheels. Not to mention cup and cone, which I really can't be bothered with anymore :P
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    just to add another thought - the superstars are on offer at the moment - you can get a pair built up on 717's for around 180 quid - quite a saving!
  • housemunkey
    I had looked at the stans 355 rims. TBH I'm not so well clued up on tubeless and so I figured that they were tubeless only, is that not right?

Isn't it a bit of a bugger to change tires running tubeless? And can I just rub tubes with the 355 rims?

If so then I could be tempted by a pair of Pro3 SP XC6's with the stans rims!
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    buy hope.buy british
  • frogstomp
    frogstomp Posts: 412
    I had looked at the stans 355 rims. TBH I'm not so well clued up on tubeless and so I figured that they were tubeless only, is that not right?

Isn't it a bit of a bugger to change tires running tubeless? And can I just rub tubes with the 355 rims?

The 355s are tubeless ready so, yes, you can run normal tyres with tubes.. if you choose your tyres with a bit of care you can run normal tyres tubeless on these rims (with rim strip/yellow tape and sealant).

I have a set of 355s with Superleggera hub and they've been great since I bought them a couple of months ago. Ran them with tubed Fire XC Pros at first but I've just switched to tubeless with non-UST Nobby Nics and they feel great!

I ride the sandy bits at Swinley forest a fair bit so I'll be stripping them down in the not-to-distant future to see if they are keeping the sand out - prevention of potential future problems being my thinking..
  • nickfrog
    turpinr wrote:
    buy hope.buy british

Why ?
  • housemunkey
    nickfrog wrote:
    turpinr wrote:
    buy hope.buy british

Why ?

To invest in British engineering and the British economy? Because maybe they are the best?

So really . . .
    Why not?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Because there is better?!
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog wrote:
    turpinr wrote:
    buy hope.buy british
    Why ?
    To invest in British engineering (...) So really . . . Why not?

9rkuhv.jpg
  • housemunkey
    :shock: I'll get my coat . . . :lol:

p.s thats a pretty impressive job you did there!!!
  • turpinr
    nickfrog wrote:
    turpinr wrote:
    buy hope.buy british

Why ?

To invest in British engineering and the British economy? Because maybe they are the best?

So really . . .
    Why not?
    yes to all 3.why buy foriegn if you can buy british, unless you are sonic. :lol:
  • nickfrog
    :shock: I'll get my coat . . . :lol:

p.s thats a pretty impressive job you did there!!!

LOL. Not mine, fortunately. I don't seem to be able to break my Japanese engineered hub, however hard I try.

I have nothing against British made stuff but I won't buy something based on where it's from.
    I suppose it'd make more sense to buy a Japanese engineered Nissan built in Sunderland than a British engineered product made in the Far East (obviously Hope are made in the UK).
    One also has to check how much actual British content a so called British product has. In most cases, not very much.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Hope are good hubs, it makes me laugh when people post that pic again and again. CK Hubs fail, Shimano hubs fail, they all fail and anyone can find pics on the internet to show dramatic failures of each.

I personally have never had any hub problems with Shimano, other than the usual servicing needs, or with my Hopes. The only thing I don't like about my Hopes is they aren't loud enough ;)
  • nickfrog
    Makes me laugh when people state the bleeding obvious. Of course all brands of hubs can fail. The relevant question is the failure rate. Posting the pic may help dispel the myth/assumption that Hope or British engineering in general is better per se (it may well be on, I don't know). At the price they sell them at, you'd expect Hope hubs to be bombproof. From what I'have seen over the past 15 years, they are not and the failure rate looks very much like a multiple of Shimano's failure rate (base on non statistical trailside observations!!). And they're not even light either.
    I think buying them just because they are British is an invitation for them not to bother improving reliability. Buying protectionism always backfires in my experience.
  • turpinr
    nickfrog wrote:
    Makes me laugh when people state the bleeding obvious. Of course all brands of hubs can fail. The relevant question is the failure rate. Posting the pic may help dispel the myth/assumption that Hope or British engineering in general is better per se (it may well be on, I don't know). At the price they sell them at, you'd expect Hope hubs to be bombproof. From what I'have seen over the past 15 years, they are not and the failure rate looks very much like a multiple of Shimano's failure rate (base on non statistical trailside observations!!). And they're not even light either.
    I think buying them just because they are British is an invitation for them not to bother improving reliability. Buying protectionism always backfires in my experience.
    i've taken plenty of failed shimano stuff off my bikes .any xt gear seems fragile and that includes the hubs. sram stuff too including the very crap poplocs
    i've had a few jap motor bikes blow up on me and given the choice i'd buy british anytime.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Nickfrog, I suggest you re-read my post. I didn't say Hope were the dogs or that Shimano/CK/DT aren't.

You, me and 99.99% of people on here don't have any solid evidence to support the alleged failure rates people go on about and that was my point. It could well be true Hope hubs are rubbish but I haven't seen it yet and nor have I seen it with Shimano. I can't comment on other brand becuase I've never had them and to be honest I've not seen too many people out and about with buggered hubs anyway.

I don't buy into the buy British thing either Hope stuff I buy becuase so far for me it works.
  • nickfrog
    Fair comment Eranu.
  • housemunkey
    I'll just get the hopes 'cos they come in pretty colours which allow me to be a tart. Why not? :lol: