Getting better cornering for XTC 3

ShaneAus
ShaneAus Posts: 4
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Hi, I own an 08 or 07 Giant XTC 3, and I run it all stock. My problem is that I rode around on my mates Zaskar for a bit, and his more compact bike seemed to be a lot more agile and able to corner better. How can I improve my bikes cornering ability? I guess I had better tell you some specs:
It is a 23" frame, I am 6"1
I have really long handle bars (I think it is a low specced Easton Riser bar)
I have Hutchinson Python tyres

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    How long is the stem?
    A 23" may be a bit big for 6'1"
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    I'm 6'3 and ride an 18" XTC 3 it's slightly on the smallish side for me but a 23" would have been way too big
  • ShaneAus
    turns out my bike is a 2006 model, the stem is "Easton 1 1/8th ahead"
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    How long is the stem? A shorter stem would give you a slightly more compact position on the bike.

Agree with the other statements though, I'm 6' and rode a 18" 2004 XTC Frame and it was about right in terms of size. I also ran it with 120mm forks which put the front end in the air a bit and made the head angle a bit slacker, but meant running a short stem wasn't a major issue.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sounds like the frame is too long for you.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Yeah, frame is too big.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Yup i'm 6foot2 and ride a specialized Medium which is between 17.5"and 18" maybe slight small but handles better for being smaller :)
  • bails87
    Yup i'm 6foot2 and ride a specialized Medium which is between 17.5"and 18" maybe slight small but handles better for being smaller :)

Jeez, I'm 5"11 and rode a small lapierre (16") by accident, and my back was absolutely killing me, also, I was nearly kneeing myself in the face when I pedalled! A medium LP was slightly better, but the larges (Scotts and my Boardman) I've ridden have all felt 'right'.

I know, size means nothing between manufacturers :wink:
    MTB/CX

• jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    A 23" frame is massive no matter how u cut it and WAY to big for off road unless ur about 7' 6.

Im 6'2 and ride an 18" frame which fits perfectly, u might better off ebayin ur current frame and buying somethin smaller. A shorter stem wont protect the family jewells from the top tube when u come off.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    6FT here and riding a medium XTC.Not surprised you`rE having difficulty.Sell the frame and swap it for a smaller size.

You can get a good XT frame for less than £100 on ebay.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • yep your frame is too big, I am 6ft 3 and use an 18" frame.

I used to ride a 22" (XL) 5 Spot and had exactly the same problem. Riding a smaller frame was a revelation. I bought an 18" frame and swapped all components across then sold the frame on ebay, got a good price for the frame but was an expensive mistake.
    2009 Orange 5 (Custom)

Screaming just before crashing doesn't help.........
  • ShaneAus
    I think when I bought the bike the idea was that I was going to be growing a lot more... Would it be worthwhile to upgrade to an FS such as a trance? Are there any other good lower price FS frames which would be compatible with the majority of my components?
  • bails87
    You need to look at things like headtube height, to see if the fork will fit. Smaller or the same as your current bike is fine, bigger may be a problem.

Then seattube and seatclamp diameter, which will also affect if the front mech will fit.

After that, you'll probably need a new chain and cables, and possibly brake hoses.

So it could be: Cables and chain. :D

Or it could be: Cables, chain, rear brake hose, front mech, fork, seatpost and seatpost clamp. :(

Oh, and maybe even the back wheel, if you've got standard QRs now, but choose a frame that takes something different.
    MTB/CX

• xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    In other words, you'll need to put at least £50-£100 plus, for those just in case mismatching components.
    Excluding rear wheel and fork.
    Your fork steerer is probably uncut considering how long the headtube is on a 23" frames.