PTP Thoughts

dougzz
dougzz Posts: 1,833
edited April 2010 in Pro race
Does anyone else avoid picking someone that many others have chosen in the hope of making some ground up rather than because you 'really' think they will win :)

Comments

• The Prodigy
    The Prodigy Posts: 832
    I have a few punts on less likely winners and then see where I am in the table and think damn better pick a few more likely winners so I don't totally get wiped out.

Its quite the sense of achievement if you pick out a random winner. It could get abit boring if you just choose the usual suspects for every race.

Even that hasn't worked this year, made some terrible picks.

I tend to pick much better when there is cash on the line!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    I've been trying to avoid chossing Boonen for everything in the last few weeks but all it's achieved is I've dropped from the top 20 to near the bottom! :lol:
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,869
    have contemplated choosing at the beginning of the PTP threads with someone who i think wont win..hoping loads will copy then change my mind at the end
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I try and avoid looking at who everyone else is picking..........unless I really haven't got a clue for a particular race and then just follow the herd :)
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    Bronzie wrote:
    I try and avoid looking at who everyone else is picking..........unless I really haven't got a clue for a particular race and then just follow the herd :)

No need to follow the herd, just follow FJS.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I would have gone for Breschel for the Ronde, had I not been a big Boonen fan.

Largely I go for who I tihnk will be the likeliest winner.

I think PTP's are won not on the big picks like GC for the TdF or de Ronde, which everyone largely gets right or close, but on getting those quality picks in stage race stages, like managing to pick a few guys who made it into the winning breakaway. As well as the stuff everyone gets right. Obviously.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Yeah, it's a nice feeling and you get a bit of kudos when one of your outside picks score some points, but to do well in the overall rankings I think you have to go with the obvious favourites for most of the races.

As Rick says, I think the difference between the top PTP players comes in the shorter tours and the smaller classics. Plus, you know, it takes a lot of dedication to make sure you've picked a rider in all the PTP races.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I go for favourites for overall wins/queen stages, etc. then for a stage of say, Tirreno-Adriatico, something a bit more original.

I've developed a fantastic knack of just missing out - I picked Flecha for Ghent-W and he came in 3rd the day before and nowhere on G-W, so I ended up with 0 points that weekend.
  • Picking people that will place in the the top five on regular basis is the key getting points for most race and the stage races seems to be key. The Tour probably wont have any effect as far as GC points are concerned (hats off to any brave soul how picks against Contador ) but the stage points are where its won.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.