Campagnolo Centaur Rear Mech

Craigbes
Craigbes Posts: 74
edited April 2010 in Workshop
I'm having problems getting my rear mech set up properly. If it shifts up smoothly then it won't shift down smoothly and vice versa. Very frustrating. I'm running a medium cage on an 11/25 cassette. I have read on this site somewhere that they recommend a short cage for this cassette. Is this correct and if so, what is the major difference?

Comments

• bice
    bice Posts: 772
    Is the spring OK - it wants to go back down the cassette? What about the cable run? Is it giving you a bit of slack when you release the cable?
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    Do you have a kink in your gear cable?
    Are your gear cables old?
    Is your mech hanger bent, even slightly?
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    I have to say that I'm with you on this one Craigbes.
    Utter PITA to tune properly compared to Shimano that Campag jobby.

Lovely once you've managed though :)

Have you double-checked the routing of your cable?
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • stoobydale
    stoobydale Posts: 535
    Have to disagree, Campag far easier to set up and seem to have a bit more tolerance. I would look at your cables for the problem you describe.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Agree that cables is likely to be your problem unless of course the mech is completely gunked-up. Release the cable clamp screw and see if the mech settles correctly over the small sprocket - if not, take it off give it a good seeing too with a toothbrush and cleaner to free-up the pivots and parallelogram.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • tenor
    tenor Posts: 278
    1) IMake sure you read the Campagnolo instructions carefullyas the initial alignment is on the middle sprocket - not the outer one as recommended for Shimano
    2) cable installation can be critical starting with the seating of the cable in the lever housing
    3) no problem with a medium rear mech, which is also more versatile should you favour a larger 29 sprocket for some rides.
  • stoobydale
    stoobydale Posts: 535
    No problem fitting a 29 sprocket with a short cage. Not with campag anyway :wink: