Any One Still Using Bar Ends ?

coolboarder
coolboarder Posts: 149
edited April 2010 in MTB general
I used to, but now not got any on my commute bike or my best ride. Thought they were quite good back then. Not really sure why they died a death :?

Comments

• jpstar
    jpstar Posts: 561
    Yeah i do, but then again I do ride rigid as well with flat 600mm bars... 8)
    Good for hills, not so good for pedestrians... :twisted:
  • yeah i swear by flat bars and bar ends, i'm not to keen on risers. :D
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I used to, but now not got any on my commute bike or my best ride. Thought they were quite good back then. Not really sure why they died a death :?

The Cube Reaction 2010 comes fitted with them. I'd miss them if I didn't have them.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Don't have any on my best bike, but there are still some (Ned) Overends on my old, very rigid 'Dale M500, which I had to ride a couple of weeks ago while i was dismantling the Spesh's rear end. Loved 'em on the climbs but would rather have had the wider bars again on the way down.
    XC whippets aside, I doubt that many folks are in a sufficiently big hurry to get to the top to make bar ends much of a priority these days.
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    They look a bit naff with riser bars which may have led to a decrease in popularity.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    They do have the failing of goring you like a bull in an off road accident :shock:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • supercyril
    supercyril Posts: 201
    I use them with low risers, i know its a fashion no no but i dont care. Best performance mod you can get for the cash. Hardtail+ barends+spds= fast uphills.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Only on my flat bar road bike and they're great for hills and giving you another postion on longer rides. I was tempted when my MTB had flat bars but the thought of catching them on something put me off.
  • Ho hum
    Ho hum Posts: 236
    I have some micro ones with my high risers.

I find they help in lots of situations, particularly whilst climbing.
  • Seen a few near misses where people have almost been pulled off when they have caught their bar ends on undergrowth or caught on trees. Probably freak occurrences but good enough to put me off.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I've got some on my SS commuter and they transform going up hills out of the saddle- I'd really struggle without them I think.
  • Doombrain
    Doombrain Posts: 360
    wouldn't be without them, but i do need to cut my bars down a little
    LOL road riding.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I'd be tempted to fit them if I had a more XCy type bike. Had them on my old 4" GT and they were well handy climbing, or for just another position to rest on if I was just cruising along. I know blah blah blah you can't brake if you're holding them but I rarely have trees or cars jumping out in front of me when I've just rolling along.
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    I have some Ritchey WCS SL bar ends on my XC race bike.
    They make stand up climbing a lot easier when running flat narrow (580mm) bars.
  • I use a pair of Spesh Overends - super comfortable,and great for honking up climbs. That said, I do take them off if I'm doing DS/DH, as I don't fancy goring anyone in a stack...
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have never had them, but, sometimes when I ride up some road uphill on my MTB, I hold my grips as if I had them... Although I have stopped doing that recently
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    Wouldn't be without them no matter what bars I'm running. They've saved my hands in stacks countless times.

Dawg
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    I find climbing a lot easier with them.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    my mate uses stubby bar ends on a 5 inch travel bike. i think it looks stupid but he beats me up the climbs so maybe it works?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Bar ends FTW!

proflexoct08sui4.jpg
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Have used bar ends and a flat bar for years, just feel better with them. Not keen on riding without, I feel like my hands are going to slide off (they have sometimes). Never had any mishaps. My gf has a low riser and some stubby bar ends, she finds them essential to get a better position on the few road miles leading to the trails. Not worried about aesthetics or fashion police.
  • diddyfunk
    diddyfunk Posts: 252
    Bar ends all the way.
    Brilliant for hill climbs as they let your biceps work the way they are intended too.
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo
    08 Scott Scale 60 - http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... CF2299.jpg
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    Definitely love bar ends, I got them just to allow me to adjust my holding position on the bars as I was getting a numb arm after a long journey but now also found out how good they are for assisting with powering up climbs.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • I have Barends on all my bikes and i have the same ones on all. They're the Cane Creek Ergo II I know they weigh a bit more than your normal barends but they're so comfortable and great for climbs. Using barends also put your hands in in a more natural position.
  • spodomodo
    spodomodo Posts: 48
    I've got three bikes and they've all got those stubby little rubbery bar ends from Cane Creek in combo with ODI lock ons. They're great for climbing - lots of extra leverage and good for varying grip on road sections or fire road climbs - helps to stop your hands going numb.

Stuff fashion - I wouldn't be without them.

S
  • fitted a set of stumpy bar ends bout a month ago to my risers and love em, comfy on flat long rides and help alot on the uphill :lol:
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build