Suspension forks in the winter?

rchip
rchip Posts: 102
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Hey, I'm relatively new to mountain biking. I hear people talking about winter hacks etc, I seem to read that many use rigid forks in the winter. I've had problems with my rockshox recons and they're currently being serviced! So they dont go wrong again, I'm wondering if come the winter it is best for me to switch to a rigid fork on my kona kula!?

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Rigid forks are a good idea if you dont like cleaning and maintenance and just like riding. However if your used to suspension it is a bit of a shock the first time you go for a ride offroad with a rigid fork be prepared to try and float over stuff you just rode through. You will find a lot of bumps you didnt know existed.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    rchip wrote:
    Hey, I'm relatively new to mountain biking. I hear people talking about winter hacks etc, I seem to read that many use rigid forks in the winter. I've had problems with my rockshox recons and they're currently being serviced! So they dont go wrong again, I'm wondering if come the winter it is best for me to switch to a rigid fork on my kona kula!?

why?

what do you use the bike for?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rchip
    To be honest, I'm not sure if I need suspension forks for the riding that I do! 90% of my riding is just down the cheshire lines hah which looks like this http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2432/364 ... 8a2fd3.jpg as you can see, there's not many bumps!

Last summer I did the marin trail a few times with my mates and we plan to have a cycling intensive summer this year! Trying to check out a few new trails! I'm considering selling the recons when they come back (hopefully this week!) and perhaps just going for a carbon fork instead!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    You can do the Cheshire lines no problem on a rigid but if your looking for new trails to ride your Recons are going to make life a lot more comfy. Even carbon forks will make your eyeballs rattle if your riding over rocky trails.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • rchip
    Ah thanks, I was thinking that'd be the case it's a bit annoying really, that i'll probably only hit the trails about 5 to 7 times in the summer! Other wise I'd be better off with carbon forks : ( ... I can't really afford to buy carbon forks without selling the recons (or rather, what I mean is I can't justify having the recons just laying in the garage) even though I'd say on average I go riding on the cheshier lines every other day! Guitars are my main hobby which takes most of my hobby cash, so I don't want to have too much money wrapped up in bikes : ( ... (hah even though i'd like too)
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Quite an interesting outlook on the forks thing..
    Forks should function just as well in winter as they do in summer, however like many things that contain moving parts, air, springs and oil, they do need occasional servicing.

Carbon forks don't have to be expensive, Carbon Cycles Exotic rigid fork range justify my statement. I use these on my Diamondback commuter and they're excellent.

You can always sell your recons, but you wont get squat for them used. You're best just using the lockout facility if you really do want rigid..
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I just carry on using my forks in all conditions, that's what they're for. I do have a set of rigid forks which are very nice for a bit of variety but I fit them when I feel like it, not when it's muddy ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    How are you generally maintaining the suspension forks? How long have you had them before the service?
    I tend to spray them with some wd40 after a wet ride, dry them off and put some light oil on the stanctions. Them compress them a couple of times and you will see a ring of dirt on the stanctions collected by the oil. I then wipe this off, dry them off and I'm good to go for the next ride.
    Every six months or so, clean the seals. this is simple and your forks manufacturer should have this fully explained on their website.
    This is my second year of hard riding and they feel smooth still so I think this works. :wink:
    Ridged forks? Doesn't sound like fun to me.. Like going singlespeed to reduce maintenance, sounds good until you do it :cry:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    al2098 wrote:
    Ridged forks? Doesn't sound like fun to me..

It can be... Quite educational too, but mainly it just transforms your trails, can make bits that are usually dull pretty interesting.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    I ride my Tora's in all conditions and I have to admit that I dont always wipe them down after a ride, they've done two winters so far without a service and without any problems, thats what they were built for after all.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Switching to rigid is a good idea, or you could be a pansy like me and stick with indoor sports for the winter :D
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    al2098 wrote:
    I tend to spray them with some wd40 after a wet ride, dry them off and put some light oil on the stanctions.

On the stantions? You don't want wd40 on the fork stantions. Wipe clean, apply lube if necessary.
    al2098 wrote:
    Ridged forks? Doesn't sound like fun to me.. Like going singlespeed to reduce maintenance, sounds good until you do it :cry:

Not ridged - rigid. Meaning not suspension forks.
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    Rigid?
    I'm a rubbish spellller. :P
    WD40 just gets rid of the water that has accumulated. I suppose a proper water displacing fluid would be better..
    Sorry if I upset any rigid fork riders and single speeders out there.
    It's all about doing your own thing after all.
    Can you do the Skyline or Cwmcarn on a rigid singlespeed and have fun though?
  • Bignige
    Bignige Posts: 223
    al2098 wrote:

Depends how much of a masochist you are !! :)
    Ride it like you stole it.........Yeah Baby!!!

2008 Spesh Enduro SL Expert
    2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 Ltd Edition
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    al2098 wrote:
    Rigid?
    I'm a rubbish spellller. :P
    WD40 just gets rid of the water that has accumulated. I suppose a proper water displacing fluid would be better..
    Sorry if I upset any rigid fork riders and single speeders out there.
    It's all about doing your own thing after all.

Woahhh you dont want to be putting WD40 or anything like that near your forks ! Just wipe them and lube them, If it gets in (and it can!) it will start to do bad things to the oil inside
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Don't put WD-40 anywhere near most bike parts, use good ol' 3 in 1 for most things, silicon lube for stanchions, and grease for headsets.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy