Copter tape with anodised frame

stayhigh65
stayhigh65 Posts: 611
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Morning All

I have an On One SCANDal frame and was going to put some copter tape on it. The frame is anodised so wasnt sure if I could use this or not?

Any thoughts?
Wow great ship man. Looks like a fish, flies like a fish, steers like a cow.

HECKLER
exercise.png

Comments

• nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Dont see why not.
    I use it on all my bikes and no problems.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • stayhigh65
    Had seen HERE it wasnt recommended but cant seem to find any reason why not :?

HECKLER
    exercise.png
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    From elsewhere on the website:

"We don’t recommend this 3M tape for anodised frames. It is a gloss finish."

Looks like its an asthetics thing.

Dawg
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    anodised frames dont take anything stuck to them as well as painted finishes. I have an anodised Santa Cruz few years back that just refused to take frame patches...gggrrr ! ended up aroditing them on :-) ! thats prob why they say their not suitable.
    One trick tho is to warm the copter tape with a hair dryer...makes it mold and stick better.
    Would give it a go and see what happens...if not glue it...better then have the c**p rubbed out your frame !
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yup, copter tape wouldn't stick to my Scandal well at all. I ended up using wraps of cloth tape instead- it won't stick to the frame but you can wrap it right round and stick it to itself.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • turnerjohn wrote:
    anodised frames dont take anything stuck to them as well as painted finishes. I have an anodised Santa Cruz few years back that just refused to take frame patches...gggrrr ! ended up aroditing them on :-) ! thats prob why they say their not suitable.
    One trick tho is to warm the copter tape with a hair dryer...makes it mold and stick better.
    Would give it a go and see what happens...if not glue it...better then have the c**p rubbed out your frame !

Did I read that right? You stuck frame protection patches onto your frame with araldite?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    It sticks to my Scandal frame okay. Just get the tape and frame warm with a hair dryer and make sure you rub it down hard. I used the plastic handle of a tooth brush to press it down and get it stuck. It is noticeable on the frame unlike on a gloss paint coat and after a while damp gets under it but it sticks and does the job
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    It's stayed on my Cube ok for the last year, it's just not quite as invisible as it is on a painted frame.
  • stayhigh65
    after a while damp gets under it but it sticks and does the job

Does it bubble up at all after its been clamped i.e on roof rack etc?

I was thinking off covering the whole of the down tube and top tube but not sure if that will look off or not? maybe I'll be better sticking with the areas most liable to rub. I'll try on an area and see what i think once I get home tonight.
    it's just not quite as invisible as it is on a painted frame

I couldnt tell you had any tape on from your signiture pic lol :lol:

HECKLER
    exercise.png