disgusting shimano prices

CavemanDavvy
CavemanDavvy Posts: 121
edited April 2010 in MTB general
i just came back from out on the trail when at the end, my guide pully/jockey wheel came off, resulting in the the screw coming out aswell and this is now lost. I have been searching the web and i have found slx ones, which are £8.99 for 2 small bolts. I need xt ones, but these prices are terrible. I bet they cost pennies to m,ake aswell

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Madisom charge a huge amount on spare parts (importer of Shimano)
  • i just found some sort of pulley bolt in europe for only 2 euros
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Try your LBS, they might have an old one you can have for nowt.
  • Yea il try my lbs, they might have a few spares that have been taken off other ones while replacing them or something. i hope i can get 1 because this has annoyed me now! Thanks for the help
  • Had the same problem when looking for SLX chainring bolts, noone stocked them, so they had to be specially ordered and they just charged the rrp which was mental for 4 bolts. Most expensive bolts I've ever bought I think.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Quite a lot of these bits are interchangable, why pay RRP for Shimano chainring bolts frinstance, they're the same as everyone else's.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • It was something about the profile of the head of the bolt iirc, noone local had anything suitable so I was stuck with either paying over the odds or possibly ordering the wrong bolt.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    It was something about the profile of the head of the bolt iirc,

Think you might have been done over by the bike shop there I have an SLX chainset and they are standard apart from the fact they are Torx T27 not 5mm allen key. You can buy steel chainring bolts for about a pound each. You can buy anodised aluminium ones for £5 a set off ebay
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    at the end of the day everyone has to make money on the stuff, so i think shimano are probably to blame for the high prices, the margins need to be maintained so what ever shimano put there prices up by everyone involved with their sale has to put on a similar amount.
  • stubs wrote:
    It was something about the profile of the head of the bolt iirc,

Think you might have been done over by the bike shop there I have an SLX chainset and they are standard apart from the fact they are Torx T27 not 5mm allen key. You can buy steel chainring bolts for about a pound each. You can buy anodised aluminium ones for £5 a set off ebay

Purely my fault if thats true, I just asked them to order them, they didnt advise, live and learn.
  • i just got a spare bolt from a friend who has a box of spare bolts from derailkluers he has strippede down. Got it fixed, went home, n look what i found on the floor, the bolt i lost. i had looked arounds the garden the day before and i couldnt find it, but now iv got a spare one.
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    Had the same problem when looking for SLX chainring bolts, noone stocked them, so they had to be specially ordered and they just charged the rrp which was mental for 4 bolts. Most expensive bolts I've ever bought I think.

They mugged you off there is loads listed on eBay and they would still have been given a trade price so there decision what to charge you.
    So Far!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    estevens wrote:
    Had the same problem when looking for SLX chainring bolts, noone stocked them, so they had to be specially ordered and they just charged the rrp which was mental for 4 bolts. Most expensive bolts I've ever bought I think.

They mugged you off there is loads listed on eBay and they would still have been given a trade price so there decision what to charge you.

any 8,5mm length crank bolts would fit. there is nothing special about the SLX.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Good to know for future reference!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's one of those things, Its cheaper than buying a dérailleur, and better than having no bolts. They can have the price like that, just because they can, that's why they do it.