Bit of motivation help please!

addivllangirb
addivllangirb Posts: 322
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Hi,

Following a longish (9/10 months) period off the bike due to illness and academic pressures I went out for a ride this morning. What was once an enjoyable fun thing just felt numb tedious and disappointing. Whilst cycling wise i'm not as fit as I was, overall i'm in reasonable shape, and fatigue wasn't the issue. I am as interested in the sport as I ever was, reading the mags and forum over my time away and visiting the lbs to see whats new etc.

Really i'm just asking to see what advice you guys can come up with to try and put a bit of a spark back. I can't just nip over to the alps or even Wales to get some 'fun' riding and am pretty much unable to stump up for new parts to kick some interest in my riding.

Sorry for the long rambling post

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Where did you go riding? What is your bike, and riding style?
  • Rutland, not exactly great but I can only ride where I can ride too really.
    Marin Elridge Grade 2008, with FSA Kforce Bars
    XC - very very deffinatly
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bit flat I suppose! I can see your problem, I used to live in York.

I guess you just have to try an make it interesting - bunnyhop over rocks, power wheely away from a standstill, carve corners at top speed and get the tail out!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    All I can say is, don't try and force it, I did that when I found myself bored of motorbikes and threw myself into trips and trackdays and suchlike and it just made things worse. But then, sometimes when you're demotivated all it takes is one really great ride to remind you what you're missing.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Northwind wrote:
    sometimes when you're demotivated all it takes is one really great ride to remind you what you're missing.

+1

If I'm struggling to get motivated, I get a few mates together for a ride.

A group of mixed abilities is good.

Someone skilful to inspire you and someone who's a bikespazz to laugh at usually does the trick :lol:

Also, check THIS thread out.
    Plenty of motivation to get you in the saddle !
  • wavey1490
    wavey1490 Posts: 39
    *AL* wrote:
    +1

If I'm struggling to get motivated, I get a few mates together for a ride.

A group of mixed abilities is good.

Someone skilful to inspire you and someone who's a bikespazz to laugh at usually does the trick :lol:

this is a very good technique which I use too, works everytime, the other thing I do is look over all my xc racing pics of me. Plus watch stuff on you tube
    Anorexic Racing Snake ;)
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Join a club, go with some mates, and have a laugh. Cant quite remember who it was (Rachael Atherton maybe?) but I remember some pro level rider saying something like "I don't train, I just go out riding and have fun, often with my mates"

Its much easier to get yourself together, get the bike ready, and go out for a ride when you've got some guys waiting for you. I've found myself getting ready for a ride before I've even checked what the weather is doing (shock, horror..)

And +1 to the picture thread, some great photos there.

This one too.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/t ... ite-photos