Just get up and go?

SIRPSYCHOSEXY
SIRPSYCHOSEXY Posts: 56
edited April 2010 in Tour & expedition
Have been watching the series with Mark Beaumont and read books by fellow riders that have decided to travel the world by bike. My question is, are there fellow BikeRadar forum viewers that have just up sticks, got on your bike and left Blighty behind(not for good obviously but for a fair amount of time). For me, my marriage is over and has become bitter, my job is repetive and i see and read about these bike adventures and i just feel i want to say sod it and go see the world - but something is holding me back - probably scared/nervous of what would lie ahead. Is it worth giving up friends and family for this, i guess selfish reason? Thanks Chris.

Comments

• Heckler1974
    Heckler1974 Posts: 479
    I think for most people it's the financial aspect, I couldn't afford to be out of work for the length of time required.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Maybe you try doing it in bite sized chunks first? Maybe 2 or 3 weeks at a time, then if the bug bites chuck it all in and up sticks?

Personally I haven't done it but do appreciate it would be an amazing experience.
  • cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    I did something similar about 20 years ago - bought a one-way ticket to Delhi.

I didn't enjoy work anymore, had been divorced for a couple of years and just opted to sell my flat and buy a bike. I have never looked back.

Your friends will aways be there.

What have you got to lose... Really?
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • megilleland
    megilleland Posts: 786
    Following my separation (1999) from my wife and the selling up of our business I bought myself a bike in July at the age of 50 (hadn't ridden a bike since 15) and was on the road to Spain by January 2000. I was fortunate enough to have the financial clout to do this, but my friends thought I would be back in a few weeks - shows how much confidence they had in me! Returned to UK in January 2001). It was also the Milennium and gave me a further excuse to go. The best thing and adventure I have ever had. Being riding my bike since.

The total time was spent in Spain, a country I had been visiting since 1974 and truly love. I had no desire to travel the world which I could of. I think you need that push/desire to get you going, but it is amazing the freedom that you get by being on the road by yourself. However remember that you have to return, unless you can build a lifestyle abroad, but this means you have got to stay in one place to do that. Of course if you are a Mark Beaumont you can make your interests/travel ideas into a financial return, offering the security and ability to take up the next challenge. I wish I was him. There I go another reason to get on the road again.
    The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.
  • xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    I haven't been in such a possition but if I was I think I would just go for it, like cycladelic said your friends and family will always be there.
    Follow your heart, if it tells you its time for change than go, another opportunity like this might not come along again.
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    Think of all the things that you could gain out of this, new experiences, new people to meet, new opportunities, you don't want to get to the end of your life and think what if?
    I've never done anything as dramatic as Mark Beaumont, however I have jacked in a job to live in spain for a year in the past, brilliant, and 2years ago I gave up a well paid (boring) job in the SE and moved to the lakes with no job, its been great. I don't want to sound like one of those crappy motivational posters you get, so get off your arse and enjoy your travels!

good luck and keep us updated.
  • Stuww
    Stuww Posts: 203
    I've just landed in similar circumstances and Beaumont, Humphries et al have inspired me to jack it all in and get on my bike.

I handed in my notice two weeks ago and have rented out my house.

My first "Bite Size!!!" chunk is to cross the US, assuming I survive and enjoy that I'll head south to Australasia and back through Asia.

I've been surprised by the number of people giving everything up and heading off on their bikes, we have formed quite a good community online sharing info via twitter, email etc

Crazy Guy on a Bike is a good starting point and very inspiring, Pete Gostelow and Ben Rowlands are on amazing trips at the moment, read their journals and you'll be donning your cycle clips in no time!!

You can follow my exploits by using the links below.

http://www.midlifecyclist.me.uk/
    Cycling across the USA to raise money for Shelterbox
    Donate via http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartWoolger
    Follow me on Twitter
    @StuWitterer
  • this time last year I was frustrated with my job and felt i was going nowhere. Looking for inspiration I read Humphreys, then quit my job, bought a £60 bike and some panniers from argos and set off. I have just had the best year of my life cycling through Africa and would highly reccomend just going for it. The only problem for me has been returning to life back home afterwards.
  • I had a similar experience to some people here. My wife left me in Autumn 1999 and I was pretty distraught. After much discussion with friends and family about what to do ( buy another house, move jobs yadder yadder) one day I was sat on a bus when I had what alcoholics call a "moment of clarity". I decided to go travelling. I was 29 no ties (apart from the house), no commitments, it was millenium time and I had an urge to just go and see the world. Friends said what about your job, the housing market, why are you going on your own etc etc...I ignored all of that.

I sold the house (split the proceeds with missus), sold the car, left the job, sold other stuff and bought a large rucsac....I spent 8 months travelling.....coached football in the states, travelled across western Canada, went to NZ (easily the best place to visit), OZ and south east asia.superb time. Yes I was lucky I had some cash and some to return home to but I met loads of people who were travelling on a small budget. Plus you meet lots more people on your own and you have more freedom to do as you please.

I remember sitting on the plane about to take off thinking "bloody hell, this is a bit scary!" But it was the best thing I have ever done...bar meeting my current wife and having two boys! When I got back I bought another house, car, got another job etc etc.

Go for it...I have only got into cycling in the last year or so and if I was a cyclist 10 years ago who knows I may have done my trip by bike! :o

All the best and good luck!
  • RonL
    RonL Posts: 90
    Interesting to read of the various circumstances which have lead individuals to do this. I'm 56 and have a desire to so when I retire, no hard fast plan just go as long as I enjoy it and return when I have had enough or want a break. For the last 10 years I have been going away for a week myself, camping, suiting myself although always home here in Scotland. I have a bike at relatives in both America and Australia and and have cycled in Spain, Italy and France hiring in these countries usually for a week and generally just day rides but occasional overnight.
    As some one said earlier try it for a short break see how it goes and take it from there. As several seem to have discovered a life changing event is possibly the real trigger.

Cycling alone encourages you to talk to others and lets you meet some really interesting people which many of us don't do so readily if with a companion.
    Pedaling spans generations.