Snapping spokes

Severus
Severus Posts: 4
edited April 2010 in Road beginners
I bought a Giant Defy 1 about 8 months ago. In the last month I’ve had three snapped spokes on the rear wheel, all on the non-drive side. All snapped towards the end of my ride while going about 18mph on flat roads. I’ve had the spokes replaced at two different reputable LBS.

Am I just unlucky or am I paying the price of buying a bike with a dodgy machine built wheel?

Do I need stronger spokes? I’m 6’2 and about 12st so hardly a FB

Will cycling the 10 miles home with a missing spoke be a contributory factor?

What is the solution? Cos all the pinging is driving me mad!

Cheers
Sevvy

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    If you bought the bike locally you need to take it back and complain. They should repair or replace the wheel.
    Most likely caused by some spokes coming loose while riding causing the rim to flex and spokes to break :cry:
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I doubt they'll replace a wheel that's 8 months old.

You should get the wheel rebuilt (no need for all new spokes) by a good wheel builder.
    More problems but still living....
  • What wheels are they? (I'm not familiar with the Defy spec)
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Only spoke I have snapped was on my mtb and that was becuase I hadnt checked the tension on them before a ride on one of the 7 stanes up in south west scotland, and I am not very heavy but do tend to ride quite hard off road, the other spokes that did have some tension were taking a lot more pressure hence the snappage.
  • spadger
    spadger Posts: 22
    I recently had 4 snap at separate times on the back wheel of my giant scr 2,it has the Standard Alex wheels and the bike has not covered that many miles.

My local bike shop has rebuilt the whole thing replacing all the original spokes with stronger/lighter one's for £50. So far problem solved.
  • Ruffy
    Ruffy Posts: 15
    Hi,

I have a Defy Advanced 3 which I think has the same wheels - Mavic CXP22? I broke 3 spokes before asking a local LBS to rebuild the wheel with the spokes crossed on both sides (wheel comes crossed on one side and radial on the other). No problems whatsoever since.

Cheers.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    +1 for crossed on rear. sapim double butted will hold it you could put sapim strong on the right side. i had similar problems till i rebuilt. soetimes they use cheap spokes on oe wheels. do it yourself it shouldnt cost more than £20.
  • Brewer
    Brewer Posts: 45
    Coincidence? I posted a few days ago about broken spokes on my Giant Defy 3. Same side of the rear wheel as you. One on a Friday, neighbour the following Friday. The advice was for a rebuild which is booked in for next week. Glad its not just me.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    This happened to me. One spoke goes, you pay to get it replaced, the next week another spoke goes (adjacent to the new one), you pay to get it fixed and so on, the next one goes, and so on. I found out that it's a common problem and was told after the second broke spoke that I did indeed need the wheel rebuilt or a new wheel - I opted for the latter as the wheel was crud anyway.

To be clear though, it is perfectly possible to just break a single spoke, fix it, and have no further problems as well. So, to sum up, if one goes - fix it... if an adjacent spoke goes soon after - rebuild or replace! Hope this helps.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • thexvw
    thexvw Posts: 135
    Hi, had the same sort of issue. Kept breaking spokes every couple of weeks or so. In the end I got fed up and replaced them all. I did a similar thing and rode the bike for a good few miles after each break which I think weakened the rest of the spokes.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    This happened to me. One spoke goes, you pay to get it replaced, the next week another spoke goes (adjacent to the new one), you pay to get it fixed and so on, the next one goes, and so on. I found out that it's a common problem and was told after the second broke spoke that I did indeed need the wheel rebuilt or a new wheel - I opted for the latter as the wheel was crud anyway.

To be clear though, it is perfectly possible to just break a single spoke, fix it, and have no further problems as well. So, to sum up, if one goes - fix it... if an adjacent spoke goes soon after - rebuild or replace! Hope this helps.

The one spoke I broke never led to another one breaking but then again I did destroy the hub on the next ride (after replacing it, it broke at the nipple end) so I had to buy a new wheel as it was cheaper than getting a new hub and getting the wheel rebuilt at the local lbs, upside was the new wheel was lighter and had a better hub, hurrah.

Back on topic though yeah the surrounding spokes to take the strain so will be the next ones to go if the wheel isn't properly tensioned after refitting the new spoke, I must have done it just right by fluke
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Still say take it back and complain, you should not have to pay for it to be repaired.
    8 months old, unfit for purpose etc :?
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!