Rock Shox Reba Race noisey???!!

Bikertim
Bikertim Posts: 4
edited April 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Having just picked up my new Boardman pro from Halfords and riden it home I've noticed the Reba Race forks are quite noisey, making a weezing sound when compressed and on rebound. I know they're air shocks but my Recon U Turns dont do the same.

My first thought was to go back and question Halfords about them, but the 14 year old that sold me the bike couldnt fit the toe straps so I don't have a huge amount of confidence they will give me an honest answer....can anyone help? Are they broke or is this normal?? They seem to work absolutely fine other than the noise.

Cheers,

Tim

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Gasping, squelching and wheezing noises are... good! It is simply oil circulating through the damping valves. You may find it gets louder on bigger hits, and with the damping turned up.

I'd dump the toe clips too, and think about a clipless pedal (bizarrely these 'clip' to a special shoe but make entry and disengagement safer) or even normal flat pedals.
  • Bikertim
    Bikertim Posts: 4
    That's great thank you. I wondered about getting some clips but having not had them before I wasn't sure. Really pleased the noise is good, I was quite worried... dealing with Halfords doesnt fill me with confidence! Many thanks ;)
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    On my RS Recon airs I found that the slower you set the rebound the more wheezing they made. It's normal so enjoy the bike.