Halo SAS hubs, to narrow?

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited April 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Just picked up a pair of Halo SAS rims with Spin Doctor hubs. The rear fits great with QR but I'm having issues with the front which is 20mm.

The wheels fits on as expected on the 20mm axle but there is a big enough space for the wheel to move side to side, so much so that the cones on either end could come loose and bounce around.

Are there adapters/wider cones (the bits I've highlighted below) for SAS wheel hubs?

Sorry, didn't take a picture of the wheel mounted. Will try and get one tomorrow night.
IMG_0585.jpg

Previous hub was Shimano Deore, which fit snuggly. Shocks are Marzocchi Drop Off 4.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    measured the width?

Shimano Deore does not come in a 20mm version.

so what are you trying to do?

but TBH it looks like the wrong adaptors.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • iPete
    Apologies, the front hub is King Kong, which measured at roughly 11.1cm, whilst the Spin doctor with its current cones/adapters measures in at roughly 10.5cm.

You can see the gaps left either side..

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

I'm hoping Halo sell adapters but have only come across the QR and axel options, nothing for width. I'd rather avoid trying to swap the old hub onto my new wheel if at all possible, if the spokes are different lengths that could be costly.
  • nicklouse
    yes they do.

you need to see where the bearing is on the disc side, if it is recessed or not.

If recessed you need

huha-sd-ft-20space1.jpg

if it is not recessed you need

huha-sd-ft-20space2.jpg

but from the measurement you have given i guess it is recessed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • iPete
    Thank you very much, was just hunting for the cones, great advice on picking the correct type. :D

I may well report back with a picture of the disc side as I'm a complete numpty!
  • nicklouse
    I may well report back with a picture of the disc side as I'm a complete numpty!

no need if both bearings are in the "same" place then it is the lower.

if the disc side is recessed it is the top one.

NOTE there should be only ONE bearing in each side.
  • iPete
    Ok, now I'm a little confused, you'll have to excuse my (probable) stupidity!

The disc side hub does not look recessed or does it? The two cones on there now are roughly 16-18mm, so that suggests I need the larger set?

IMG_0589.jpg
  • nicklouse
    edited March 2010
    iPete wrote:
    Ok, now I'm a little confused, you'll have to excuse my (probable) stupidity!

The disc side hub does not look recessed or does it? The two cones on there now are roughly 16-18mm, so that suggests I need the larger set?

IMG_0589.jpg

On a side note, whats the best way to remove a sheared disc bolt, drill it out?

have a look like i said just one bearing on each side and nothing else.

Edit: A pic appears.

you need the lower set.

re the bolt hot water and a small drill and it will just drop out . as long as the bolt has not had any strong bonding used.
  • iPete
    Ok, just checked, there is one bearing on each side and nothing else..
  • nicklouse
    see Edit above.
  • iPete
    Thanks nicklouse, greatly appreciate the help, I'm just confused, as the ones that are on there now, are the same depth as the bottom set, 16-18mm, unless they are bigger than I imagine and don't sit as deep in the hub? Still, they need to make up 5-6mm.
  • nicklouse
    yes but they are not the correct ones. as you first measurement proves.
    the O.L.D. should be 110mm you are 5mm short.
  • iPete
    Thanks, parts are in the post :D