TYRES - WHEEL WIDTH - BEST TYRE QUESTION

speedy21
speedy21 Posts: 153
edited June 2010 in Road beginners
hi all, i did ask a tyre question the other day on here but i didnt realise at the time that i could get a thinner tyre on my rim until someone suggested it and got me thinking so i need to ask this question now.
- FIRST of all i measured my wheel from the inside of the rim (inside to inside) http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rim-sizing.html (inner rim width in the diagram in this link)
and it measured 16mm, 17 max but 16 i think, whats the norrowest tyre this rim can take??
-SECONDLY, assuming that i can put a 25c tyre on this rim can you tell me the best tyre for SPEED,PUNCTURE RESISTANCE,AND GRIP at the best value.
basically i want a fast tyre to train on and i dont want to be fixing punctures if i can help it. id ideally like to spend £20 or less per tyre if i can,
thanks for any help :)

P.S. how much diffrence is there between using 25c and 28c regarding speed and punctures etc ???
cheers

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    You could fit 23 / 25 / 28 tyres on your rim.
    Thinner tyres will be a bit lighter (quicker), wider tyres will be a bit more comfortable.
    A good compromise is 25mm.
    A very good tyre for speed / puncture resistance / grip / under £20 is Panaracer Pascela.
    They are usually thought of as a touring tyre but i use them on my race bike and they are quick / comfy / tough as old boots / cost about £17 :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • DieselE
    DieselE Posts: 30
    Probably me asking very similar questions. II've gone for 23mm Conti GP4000S on my17mm rims. Time will tell but they seem like a good balance between race and puncture proof....
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    just got some michelin krylion carbon on . theyre supposed to be extreme endurance and puncture resistance. il see soon. they dont seem heavy yet not the lightsest. splitting hairs though.£24 each at decathlon. or grey ones on offer at £20.
  • speedy21
    speedy21 Posts: 153
    thanks guys il get a set in when ive got somethin lined up, il see wats offers are on at the time.cheers
  • :roll:
    Best alloy wheels and tyres you are buying or selling used cars then you may come across vocabulary you have never heard previously. When talking about second hand cars, the following terms are some of the more common ones that are used.
    see site -
    http://www.bestalloywheelsandtyres.com