Stem and Handlebar swop - play in headset

steve77345
steve77345 Posts: 52
edited November 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
Really frustrated with my latest bit of tinkering, swoped my stem and bars from my Stumpy to my old Hardrock. The stumpy stem has a shim that allows you to change the rise if needed. The shim creates what is like an extra spacer but it has an angle to it. So when I have added spacers, stem and headset I cant get a tight fit and I am always left with some play in the headset/steerer. I can feel it when I hold on brake and push forward. What has I done wrong?

Will try and get some pics that show what I mean.

Thanks
Steve

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you are not preloading the bearings.

tighten top cap before tightening the stem bolts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • HI,
    Cheers for the speedy reply Nicklouse.
    If by pre-loading top cap you mean tightening that up before the stem then yes done that. It doesn sit flush on top of the spacer, there is a gap at the bottom the same shape as the rise angle on the shim.

Really stumped on this.

Steve
  • nicklouse
    dont understand what you are saying by
    . It doesn sit flush on top of the spacer, there is a gap at the bottom the same shape as the rise angle on the shim.

you need a gap

fork11.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • SOrry poor explanation
    Hope you can see in the pic, at the bottom of the spacer their is a gap between the spacer and stem but at the top the top cap is pressing down on the spacer which is tight against the stem.

sopzs8.jpg[/img]
  • You can also see the angle on the shim at the bottom of the stem that I was talking about.

Steve
  • nicklouse
    so you have no preloaded the bearings. you may need more spacers. if you dont have a gap at the top.

slacken stem bolts. do up top cap bolt so no gaps and play gone.

if top cap bottoms out on the steerer add more spacers.
  • Cheers Nick just proves I am an idiot, will give it a bash and if fails take to trusty LBS

Thanks
    Steve
  • Very Useful post... I had some play in my forks, and was thinkin oh ... I'll have to fork out (!) for a new headset... but joy, it was just a case of me not preloading - school boy error

bikeradar forumees to the rescue
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Surely to cure that you need another angled spacer like the one you have, but on top of the stem angled the opposite way to get everything straight again.

I don't like the look of it as it is at all, I'd remove it and just use another 'flat' spacer.