frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited April 2010 in Pro race
Looks pretty nice.

GI_05_19_DiLuca_01.jpg
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Colle delle Finestre stage of the 2005 Giro? That's the white Pro Tour jersey.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOD5ouvWxVk

Edit: I remember watching this live, and the Italian producer was deliberately going to black & white to get that old skool effect on the sterrato.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Oh my wow that is the best day of cycling I think I haver ever seen!

Absolutely epic, coming after an incredible Giro, when it was Basso's to lose, and then he did, losing half an hour over the Stelvio. The emergence of Jose Rujano culminated in a stage win on this stage, drawing him to within a minute of the win. Gibo doing his damndest to drop Savoldelli for enough time on the climb, and Savoldelli doing his damndest to regain that time on the descent, the way that only Savoldelli could.

And then there was the added element of the unpaved roads on the Colle delle Finestre, and as DaveyL has said, the Italian director getting all arty and going black and white for large chunks, just like the olden days.

This is why I am in love with this sport, absolutely jaw dropping and inspiring
  • frenchfighter
    Wow that sounds like a great stage and thanks for the link I will have a good watch.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Awesome stage. One of my all time favourites. The most stunning of shots was the one of the huge crowd lined up on the very top of the mountain. It looked like a knife blade in the sky, covered in ants.

FF, if you missed it, I feel sorry for you. It is still vivid in my memory. I think I have some other pics saved. I see what I can find.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Truly the best days cycling I've ever seen, from the best race I've ever seen... I can remember where I was when I watched that!

World Cycling Productions have a 5 hour DVD set of the race that's really good for about £30 delivered. Bettini and Baden Cooke nearly getting in a fight, Di Luca hoovering up stages, Gibo riding with a massive chip on his shoulder following Cunego's win the year before, a floodlit dragrace of a prologue the race had everything!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    +1 from me.

It was one of those rare days where cycling was what our romantic image of it is (as long as you can ignore how some of it was done), but that's normal enough). I remember the ES tranmission was delayed so I'd seen the result on Cyclingnews but it stil didn't take anything away from it.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    I keep these, back then:
    2_0003406_1_thumb2.jpg
    2_0003409_1_thumb2.jpg
    Colle de Finestre almost 20kms at 10%, the last 10 km all like above.

I also kept the tv coverage. :D
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Stage 19 - May 28: Savigliano - Sestriere

frenchfighter, all 3 disks are available @ the place I told you about the other day.. you should just need disk #3 :)
    cartoon.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    These comments are pretty surprising! It sounds really amazing and I will certainly have to watch in its entirety. Photos looks good Blazing. Thanks Doobz, will check it out.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • It was, like Iain says, one of those rare days when the course is perfect, the race is still in the balance and the riders lived up to the situation.

I remember an amazing split screen of the descent off the Finestre showing Di Luca on one half and Savoldelli on the other showing their comparative speeds through the corners. Savoldelli was pinning it to keep his jersey,never seen anything like it!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    With 7,9 to go, the asphalt on the road to the top of the Colle delle Finestre (the Col of Windows!) disappears. This is in fact the military part of the road, which was "paved" in order to mount military equipment. Apparently, as a result of its popularity thanks to its appearance in the Giro d'Italia in 2005, the road is even in worse conditions after loads of summer traffic.
    The Colle delle Finestre is situated in Piemonte. Starting from Susa, the Colle delle Finestre is 18.62 km long. Over this distance, you climb 1694 heightmeters. The average percentage is thus 9.1 %. Look for other sides to climb the Colle delle Finestre .
    From http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Co ... ainID=1912
  • DaveyL
    It was a great stage, can't add anything to what's already been said by DG and Iain. I may have an .avi of it as well.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    It was, like Iain says, one of those rare days when the course is perfect, the race is still in the balance and the riders lived up to the situation.

I remember an amazing split screen of the descent off the Finestre showing Di Luca on one half and Savoldelli on the other showing their comparative speeds through the corners. Savoldelli was pinning it to keep his jersey,never seen anything like it!

Was it not Simoni instead of Di Luca?
    I remember the stage as well, and the commentators were also amazed by the b/w images.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Wow.

My gob is officially smacked.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The climb is right by the French border, over to the west. Is there another climb towards the Swiss border, the north that is unsurfaced. I think I remember Abraham Olano in pink trying defend his lead on an unsurfaced climb, but it's a vague memory.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    All these comments and no-one's mentioned the skullduggery? Salvodelli was isolated on the climb yet received help from Lotto, specifically Ardila and Van Huffel, to close the gap to Simoni. Without that help he'd have lost the Giro. I wonder how much that cost Discovery and have never understood why Simoni's DS didn't better the offer?
  • andyp wrote:
    All these comments and no-one's mentioned the skullduggery? Salvodelli was isolated on the climb yet received help from Lotto, specifically Ardila and Van Huffel, to close the gap to Simoni. Without that help he'd have lost the Giro. I wonder how much that cost Discovery and have never understood why Simoni's DS didn't better the offer?

But then wasn't Di Luca helping Simoni? You can't beat a bit of skullduggery!
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    andyp wrote:

Yep, one of the most blatant 'buys' I can remember although I think VH said he was riding for his own GC position?

Much like the infamous Voigt/CSC chase of Jan.... 2004 or 2005? The drugs have done my memory :roll:

Strava is not Zen.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    calvjones wrote:

Much like the infamous Voigt/CSC chase of Jan.... 2004 or 2005? The drugs have done my memory :roll:

It was only infamous if you're a German. He was riding to protect Basso's podium position.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    RichN95 wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

It was only infamous if you're a German. He was riding to protect Basso's podium position.

Indeed. Apologies for my crap memory, but was this the (in)famous Bruyneel-Riis brown envelope event or was that completely different?

Strava is not Zen.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    andyp wrote:

He may still have lost the Giro if Di Luca did not get cramp after the descent of the Finestre, Sean Yates said a while after it Di Luca was riding like a dickhead on The Finestre and he was had two purposes to maybe move up to 3rd spot and help Simoni at the same time.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Thanks guys, I was wondering which DVD to buy next. This has made my mind up.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    Aaah the great Daniel de Luca.What ever happened to him!
    ....Err,oh dear. :wink:
  • frenchfighter
    Blimey. Rujano didn't do one turn on the front...not sure how Gibo and Di Luca let him get away with that. I'm glad he didn't try and pip them right at the end to be first over.

And one super long climb - about 90 mins climbing I think.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • If memory serves this was the race immediately after Cipo's retirement and he rode the prologue course to say goodbye to his fans dressed in a pink skinsuit with the names of all the stages in printed on the suit in silver - hmmm NICE
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I recorded this stage as I watched it and have kept it as it was soooooo good. Eurosport went for about 50 mins without an ad break. There's some brilliant camera shots of wall to wall specators on the skyline.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • DaveyL
    Yeah, I just checked my external HD, have the last ~2 hr of the stage with some Euro commentary.
    Le Blaireau (1)