help with car insurance claim query please

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited March 2010 in The Crudcatcher
my mate had a small bump about 7 months ago, just a scratch on each others bumpers and nothing else. he's now just had a form through from the guys insurance company asking him to fill out the accident claim form with details of the accident. bearing in mind this was nearly 7 months ago, has he got any right to just ignore it and say that it was so long ago he's forgotten?

i know again it's another off topic post by me but i was just wondering if anyone works in the insurance business or is a policeman etc

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Yeah they can claim that long ago and if he cant remember his insurance company wont have much of a defense to go on ;)
  • If he says he's forgotten, that's not going to stop the insurance company putting a claim in. They don't really need to speak to him at all to take the money...

He could deny it, but if there's was any witnesses, police report, etc, he'll not stand much of a chance.

I only know this stuff because someone twatted my car in the carpark a few weeks ago. From a moral point of view though, if it was his fault, he should just admit it.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i see what you're both saying. when i said that he's forgotten, i didn't mean to say that he can't remember it happened, just that he'd forgotten all about it as in he didn't think that anything would come of it. i think he's thinking that cos it was so long ago that maybe the other guy has bumped the car himself somewhere or someone has done it in a car park or something and he's now thought "i know i'll blame it on that guy from 7 months ago"

i was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this, but he know that he's done it and wil admit it, if proved that it was the original accident :D
  • Aye, that's fair enough. It is pretty suspect putting claim in a 7 months later. But saying that you forgot all about it wouldn't make any difference. They're not there with their good hearts to reason with you. If they have witnesses or anything your mates insurance company won't bother fighting it as it'll be cheaper for them to pay out.