Day to Day Cleaning and Lube

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited April 2010 in Workshop
Just got new road bike and would like advice on keeping cassette, chain etc clean and lubricated.
Please advise.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I think you just answered your own question..?
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Okay.
    For all those that would like all questions posed in the correct English grammar.

Please could someone advise me on the best way (products and method) to regularly clean, lubricate, maintain the cassette, chain, crank etc.

Thank you in advance of any response.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant was that so long as you keep your transmission clean and lubricated, it doesn't really matter how you do it, or what you use...
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    GT85 is one of the best all round cleaners / lubes you'll find - a quick spray after a ride (especially if its been wet on your ride) will see you right, with a good oily rag to get the road gunk off.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    I should add that the best all round chain lube I have found is ProLink Chain lube, made by Progold. You can find it on ebay etc for a great price, much less than Finishline stuff.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Day to day - wrap rag around chain and pedal backwards, until chain's clean, then put fresh oil on, backpedal for a minute to work the oil into the links, then lightly drag the chain through the rag again to remove the excess. Squirt some GT45 onto the mech pivots and work the back and forwards. All in all, a ten minute job.

More thorough cleaning - bit of a minefield! - soak the chain with degreaser and scrub each link with a toothbrush (or alternatively use one of these), clean off all the degreaser with a rag, put fresh oil on.
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 559
    think others have it covered for transmisson but i would mention that my biggest revelation has been the use of baby wipes for more general cleaning of the frame etc. big thanks to NAP D who put me on to it. no fannying about with cloths, just wipe and chuck.
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon