Orange G3... or something else?

dazrenuk
dazrenuk Posts: 6
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hello all

I am currently looking to buy a new mountain bike. It will mainly be used for my short commute but I also want something that I can use off road. I want something of good quality with good components that will last.

I am considering the Orange G3 (having riden Orange bikes before and always liked them) and also like the look of Merlin Malt 1 2010 Ltd Edition. But I do not know much about bikes and would be grateful for any advice or recommendations for other bikes

Many thanks.

Darren

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What do your local shops have? Try some for size?
  • Yeah i'm currently looking at doing the same. Got my list together, rockhopper sl comp, G3 S, and Cinder Cone and gonna try them out. Although the acid and talon look good!
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I've got a G3, I love it.

It was either that or a Rockhopper Disc.

I just preferred the Orange.

The main thing is that the bike fits and you enjoy riding it
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • dazrenuk
    Thanks for the replies.

My local shops do not stock Orange and only obscure brands! There is a shop that stocks Specialized that is not too far so will definitely go there.

Many thanks.

Darren
  • dazrenuk
    Have just checked out the Boardman mountain bikes both Sport at £549.99 and Comp at £699.99. Also looked at the Carrera Fury at £549.99.

Really liked the Boardman Comp and looks like you get a lot of bike for your money.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Not sure if there is a better bike around the £700 mark? Still need to look at Specialized Rockhopper.

Many thanks.
  • supersonic
    It is better specced than the RH. Great bike for the money.
  • dazrenuk
    thanks supersonic. it's helpful to know that if i go for that bike i will not be wasting my money.
  • Black
    Black Posts: 172
    Take a look at the Orange Crush a far better all rounder
  • supersonic
    If you need an allrounder - the bikes listed are lighter. Plus costs more than 700 quid.
  • dazrenuk
    thanks for the recommendation Black. the Orange Crush looks lovely but well over budget. Also not sure if the Crush is best suited to my mainly commute use - it looks like a serious off-road machine and I will only go off-road every now and then.

just trying to make sure that i am getting the best I can for my £700. also can get 4.5% cashback and £75 worth of accessories in-store so anything an alternative costing me £700 is going to have to significantly better.

thanks for the replies so far everyone.
  • Black
    Black Posts: 172
    OK mate just thinking once you get a tatse of MTB you wont
    need another bike for sometime.
  • dazrenuk wrote:
    thanks for the recommendation Black. the Orange Crush looks lovely but well over budget. Also not sure if the Crush is best suited to my mainly commute use - it looks like a serious off-road machine and I will only go off-road every now and then.

just trying to make sure that i am getting the best I can for my £700. also can get 4.5% cashback and £75 worth of accessories in-store so anything an alternative costing me £700 is going to have to significantly better.

thanks for the replies so far everyone.

Which store gives the cashback & accessories? I am looking at buying a G3 but can only find a bog satandard price pf £799 with no deals!