Derailleur hanger bolt?

f3nd3r
f3nd3r Posts: 16
edited March 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I got a Trek 4300 MTB frame and I just got a replacement derailleur hanger from Evans, and it didn't come with the bolt to attach the hanger to the frame. Do I need to buy this separately and where can I get one?

Cheers
Bikes:

Trek 3700 - old first bike - currently stripping and revamping
Boardman MTB Comp

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    unless the old one is wrecked, just use that
  • f3nd3r
    I don't have the old one (the frame was given to me as a project), so it looks like I need to buy a new one, do you know where I could get one?
    Bikes:

Boardman MTB Comp
  • f3nd3r
    Thanks.
    Bikes:

Boardman MTB Comp
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Short Chain ring bolts are the normal mech hanger bolts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Is it a single large bolt? I was after a bolt for a Trek road bike mech hanger at the weekend, 2 dealers couldn't help but the 3rd said a chainring bolt (two parts, front and back) would fit - it did!
  • f3nd3r
    ahh, thanks. the other problem I just noticed is that the hole on the frame for the bolt to go into is'nt threaded. should it be? or is it like a clip on nut sort of thing?
    Bikes:

Boardman MTB Comp
  • alfablue
    f3nd3r wrote:
    ahh, thanks. the other problem I just noticed is that the hole on the frame for the bolt to go into is'nt threaded. should it be? or is it like a clip on nut sort of thing?
    because they are like chainring bolts (actually as nicklouse says, they are). You get a male and a female part which screw together.
  • f3nd3r
    ok, thanks very much for your help. I'll get a chainring bolt tomorrow then.

Cheers
    Bikes:

Boardman MTB Comp
  • alfablue
    I had to get a pack of 5 (£5). Remember there are different lengths, mine were M8 x 6.5mm
    crid-single-bolts.jpg