Specialized Safire Elite, Lapierre Zesty...

creswid
creswid Posts: 14
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hello!

I am a female rider who is looking for some advice please. I currently have a Specialized hardtail which I love riding, but Id like to get a Full Suspension bike to be able to go over rougher terrain and possibly start doing some jumps!

Ideally I think I need an All Mountain bike which is reasonably light, with good travel on the front forks (around 120/140mm). My price range is around 1,800 I can possible go a bit further up from there...

So far I have looked at the Specialized Safire Elite and the Lapierre Zesty. Both of these seem perfect for me (though I think the Lapierre is out my price range).

Anybody with any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    What's with all the bold? :lol: Personally i'd get the Zesty - very nice bikes, get pretty much only great reviews. Also consider this:

http://www.mikevaughancycles.co.uk/prod ... 1499&rs=gb
  • creswid
    ha ha sorry for all the bold - I got a bit carried away.

I do love the Zesty, do you have any idea when Lapierre do the price reductions when they bring out the next years stock? Im hoping it might drop a bit...

The Trek seems good too - its so hard to make a decision...the main thing is weight and travel I guess
  • mrfmilo
    Not sure, pretty much all Lapierres are very popular so they don't stay around long, there may be some reductions but I don't think they'll be big.
  • Scalpel_79
    Scalpel_79 Posts: 147
    go for either zesty or one of CUBES- very decent prices for very interesting components + they pretty much all look sugar. I have just seen some lapierre at evans- lowered prices- go there to negotiate a deal- they are flexible. Do some research first, to tell them: hey, I have seen it,...blah blah, blah and they will soften :D do it every time I deal with them- not saying those over the internet are any worse
  • creswid
    Ok thanks, it is a very nice bike so I wouldn't be surprised if they make little to no reduction coz demand is there.

It might be too expensive though :(
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Have you taken a look at the Trek Fuel EX 8 WSD? Very top end of the stated budget, but you might be able to get a bit of a deal.
  • creswid
    Thanks Scalpel, I haven't looked at any CUBES yet so I'll see what there is.

I like the idea of haggling! Though I def need to do some research before that. Its probably going to be mid-summer when I actually purchase the bike so trying to get a good grounding for what there is now.

Getting quite excited now :D
  • mrfmilo
    I'd say the Zesty or EX8 :) Both great bikes, and within your budget.
  • creswid
    The Trek Fuel EX 8 WSD looks nice too - top end of budget but I think its do-able.

Are these bikes as light as the Lapierre and Specialized Safire? Its difficult to tell...
  • mrfmilo
    The EX8 WSD is 27.1lbs and the Zesty is 28lbs
  • mrfmilo
    Oh btw what Zesty would you be going for?
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Hey :D
    First off i quite like the bold points, you'd be surprised how many people read an opening post and miss something crucial :wink:

Secondly, i thought the Trek Fuel was a 100mm XC bike (i could be wrong, please correct me if i am) but if you're after jumping then i'd stay clear of it.

I like the look of the zesty, but it doesn't offer the best value for money (well, that depends how well you value the frame.) Have a look at the GT Force, they've got them on Pauls Cycles (i think) around 1800, fox front and rear, full xt, barginous.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Torres
    This is it.
    Under £1400, fox front and rear. Deaore groupset (no idea where i got XT from...) but still a brilliant for the money. Only a medium left though, so depends how tall you are; idealy though it'd be worth finding a shop that'll let you sit on one.

Even if you're not a fan of the brakes and gears you'll have enough cash left over to change as you see fit
  • creswid
    I was looking at Lapierre Zesty 314 L (womens) originally. The 214 looks good, though obviously not as good as the 314...but cheaper!

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Lapierre-Zesty- ... _29236.htm
  • mrfmilo
    +1 for the GT!

The EX8 will handle some XC/AM jumps fine, but how big/small are we talking?
  • GHill
    Torres wrote:
    Secondly, i thought the Trek Fuel was a 100mm XC bike (i could be wrong, please correct me if i am) but if you're after jumping then i'd stay clear of it.

The Top Fuel is a 100 mm XC bike. The Fuel Ex is a trail bike.
  • Torres
    I stand corrected, thank you sir :D
    I'd still rather have the GT though :wink:
  • creswid
    The GT certainly is good value for money and looks good too.

So far the only jumps Ive done are the unintentional ones by mistake when going fast!

I'm 5'8" so would probably need a large bike - my hardtail is 19" but I def wouldnt go any bigger than that.
  • mrfmilo
    creswid wrote:
    I was looking at Lapierre Zesty 314 L (womens) originally. The 214 looks good, though obviously not as good as the 314...but cheaper!

The Zesty is 28.3lbs and the EX8 is 27.1lbs and the GT Force is 30.3lbs.

The Zesty is the most expensive, but has the best overall spec. The GT is probs the 'burliest one, with the Zesty and Trek being more agile on XC/singletrack routes.

What's best is if you can try them out, see which feels best. But i'm sure whichever you choose of those three they'll all be great! :)
  • Scalpel_79
    creswid wrote:

both: 214 and 314 look good

214 reminds me summer 2009- strawberries on her belly and whipped cream all over......hmmmmm.... Also, try this one- it is a woman's specific, BUT you may like it (god knows with you women :) )- decent KONA frame, scandium butted= light-ish. Do not like the angles myself or swing link- would stick with 214- gives you a bit extra left for you to invest in some extra parts
  • Torres
    "The Zesty is the most expensive, but has the best overall spec"
    However, that Zesty is about 800 quid more than the GT...
    300 quid for some hand built wheels
    250 quid for some new brakes
    100 quid for tarty finishing kit
    150 quid for beer
    :wink: you know it makes sense
  • mrfmilo
    Torres wrote:
    "The Zesty is the most expensive, but has the best overall spec"
    However, that Zesty is about 800 quid more than the GT...
    300 quid for some hand built wheels
    250 quid for some new brakes
    100 quid for tarty finishing kit
    150 quid for beer
    :wink: you know it makes sense

True. I woulld go for the Force myself, but that's just because I like GT's and the GT would handle more (i think?) than the Zesty. But yeah....hard choice! :lol:
  • Scalpel_79
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/kona-one ... 46083.html

one more from kona- not too many appreciate them, but...take a closer look at what this one has got in an offer- decent components setup

Frame tubing : Kona Race Light Scandium Butted, 5" Travel
    Rear Shock : Fox Float RP23
    Fork : Fox 32 F120 RL 120mm
    Headset : FSA Orbit DL
    Crankarms : Shimano SLX
    B/B : Shimano SLX
    Freewheel : Shimano SLX (11-32, 9spd)
    F/D : Shimano XT R/D : Shimano XT Shadow
    Shifters : Shimano XT
    Grips : Kona Race Light
    Brakes : Shimano SLX Hydraulic Disc- owne of the most powerfull at the moment on the market- not involving here- Gustavs
    Front hub : Mavic Crosstrail Wheelset
    Rear hub : Mavic Crosstrail Wheelset
    Rims : Mavic Crosstrail Wheelset

Tires are a very individual thing- for you to decide

also chain+... a few other thingies
  • creswid
    Very hard choice! The GT is a bit heavier which is whats putting me off it...I know that FS bikes in general will be heavier than my current hardtail but I dont want too much extra weight making those uphill climbs even more difficult!
  • GHill
    creswid wrote:
    Very hard choice! The GT is a bit heavier which is whats putting me off it...I know that FS bikes in general will be heavier than my current hardtail but I dont want too much extra weight making those uphill climbs even more difficult!

TBH, the GT is probably a lot more bike than you would need.
  • creswid
    I like the look of the Kona One20 Supreme, seems like good parts - and decent reduction too!

But I dont think the link for the first Kona one (whipped cream, strawberries...) was attached :wink:
  • Scalpel_79
    :D hehe

no, I do not think that either

All of those guys have mentioned about are good whips, but if you are thinking light, then it is "bad looks" KONA and a few (200-400g) less for your legs to carry around....again, unless you can afford carbon- which is something I do not recommend for an All Mounting biking- killed two already.

Zesty...Kona...Zesty...Kona...Zesty...Kona- zesty is SEX
    Spec is good also
  • MrNero50
    MrNero50 Posts: 13
    creswid wrote:

I'm 5'8" so would probably need a large bike - my hardtail is 19" but I def wouldnt go any bigger than that.

Just to complicate things a bit more for you. My girlfriend is about your height and rides a Zesty. She found the female version too short and went for the mens version!
  • creswid
    ha oh god - it is more complicated!

The Zesty is a little bit too expensive I think :(:(:( unfortunatley, maybe after some haggling I could try bring it down.

So which is the "bad looks" kona again?