Tubeless wheels

peter413
peter413 Posts: 5,120
edited March 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
In the future (probably christmas :lol: ) I will be getting new wheels.

By that time I will hopefully have a hardcore hardtail :D but will be wanting new wheels.

I have my eye on the DT Swiss E2200 wheelset. Can get it for about 300 quid from jenson usa.

I may as well go tubless at the same time so my question is: can I use the Stans yellow rim strip with these or do I have to use the conversion kit?

Are there any alternatives I should be looking at?

My riding will be a bit of everything (since I can only afford/have space for 1 one bike) so they need to be light for XC but tough enough for some light FR/DH

Thanks for the help

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think you need the proper rim strips for those rims.

Beware buying from the USA may incur costs and VAT. And think about warranty.

I'd be tempted by some good old Handbuilts from Merlin.
  • peter413
    Oh yeah..forgot about the import tax :roll:

I have seen some UK dealers sell them for about 350 quid though.

I am quite tempted by a Hope Pro II build but I would really like DT hubs and they cost just as much.

I know the E2200 isn't the star ratchet system but it shouldn't be to slow should it.

What about the Superstar Superlegga hub. Is that strong enough and how is the engagement on it?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Most hubs will be strong enough really.

Is this for a OnOne 456?
  • peter413
    That or a chameleon or stiffee.

Probably a chameleon if I can source one but if not then yes the on one.

Just depends whats available at the time
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Something with a Stans Flow or Arch rim should be suitable. either a set of Hope Hoops or a custom build eg from Merlin.
  • peter413
    jairaj wrote:
    Something with a Stans Flow or Arch rim should be suitable. either a set of Hope Hoops or a custom build eg from Merlin.

Like I said I am really tempted by the Hope's but I want the quickest engagement possible (like the DT star ratchet system speed)

Nothing against the Hope's (actually I quite like them).

If I get the SS hub then I will almost definatly gat a hope hoop for the front
  • jairaj
    Merlin will build with a 240s hub but you're gonna need a fair it of wonga for that one. I think SS might be the way forward.
  • peter413
    jairaj wrote:
    Merlin will build with a 240s hub but you're gonna need a fair it of wonga for that one. I think SS might be the way forward.

Maybe but I am not a fan of any spokes and nipples apart from DT. I know I'm being picky but thats just me :wink:

Looking at it the hopes may be the best option but I have heard the Flow rim (I am assuming the best choice) can flex quite badly. How would it compare to say a DT X455 rim?

I would also prefer black spokes but for that price I can't really be taht picky :lol:
  • jairaj
    give Superstar and Merlin a email with your requirements. Even if its not an option on their website they still maybe able to build it for you.
  • peter413
    jairaj wrote:
    give Superstar and Merlin a email with your requirements. Even if its not an option on their website they still maybe able to build it for you.

Thats a point. Haddn't thought of that. Thanks

Still going to be nearly christmas before I can afford it though :cry:

New frame, crankset, seat and maybe drivetrain before wheels. Those are necessitys, wheels are not.........unfortuanatly :twisted: