Best Wheels for under £500

Westerberg
Westerberg Posts: 652
edited April 2010 in Road buying advice
...looking for jack of all trades wheels for sportives / club runs / semi serious racing. What's a good all rounder? Must be strong! Fulcrum 3's much of an upgrade from Aksiums?

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Planet-X model B's are 6g lighter than the Fulcrum 3's, 142g lighter than the Aksiums, are very strong (I have toured on them), have super smooth hubs, cost £99 for the set. Campag or Shimano. Why spend more (unless its a LOT more)?
  • GET THE Racing 3 by far a better wheel
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • Westerberg
    alfablue wrote:
    Planet-X model B's are 6g lighter than the Fulcrum 3's, 142g lighter than the Aksiums, are very strong (I have toured on them), have super smooth hubs, cost £99 for the set. Campag or Shimano. Why spend more (unless its a LOT more)?
    £99???? how/where/why? are they made from recycled bean tins?
  • Westerberg
    GET THE Racing 3 by far a better wheel
    but why better?
  • Campag Hubs
    Decent Rims
    Are True out of the box.

You DO get what you pay for.

Why is an Aston Martin better than a Fiesta? Same idea when it comes to wheels
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • alfablue
    Westerberg wrote:
    alfablue wrote:
    £99???? how/where/why? are they made from recycled bean tins?
    Here - not made of bean tins! They cut out the middle men, and offer great value. They may not be as aesthetically pleasing as Fulcrums (no stickers for example), but they are lighter, strong enough to be abused, have a semi aero profile and aero spokes, the smoothest hubs I have encountered, and were significantly livelier than my Open Pro's. Spend £99 to try them out, or follow the unbelievers and spend £450 for no gain (apart from bragging rights).

Edit: I would agree, the Fulcrums might be better if cost is ignored, but only very marginally better. My B's were perfectly true, the hubs are great, the rims seem fine, performance is great. They may last £5k miles, cost per £1k mile, £19.80; Fulcrum 3's £90 per 1k - I do not believe for a moment they are better by that much. Though you may value image highly than I do.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    I bought some because they didn't have stickers all over them. 8)
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I bought some because for £99 you can't really go wrong. As it happens, they are very good and only marginally heavier than my 'best' EA70s...
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    The Fulcrums 3 are absolutely bombproofs - more so than my old Ksyrium Equipes. I have gone through some massive potholes these past few weeks and they are still true. They are also quite aero and feel amazing when accelerating.

I also don't think they are as good VFM as the Planet Xs but then no other wheel is.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Westerberg
    alfablue wrote:
    ok, i perhaps should have said, my new bike will already have Aksiums 2010 version - at 1795g. The PX, while great looking value, are 1758g - so only 37g lighter. Having had good experiences with Aksiums, I think I'll stick with them.
  • Got fulcrum 3's . Very nIce wheels but the customer service was awful

Wouldnt recommend them as the importer is a a clown. Took me 6 weeks of email tennis to locate a spare spoke. (after I rang round what felt like half of England) Apparently they ran out of stock and couldnt get any more from Italy for 6 weeks ffs. The replies I got were near on useless and when the managing director finaly got in touch he accused me of lying despite the fact I kept every email. I am sure I am probably just unlucky but they have no idea in my single experience of looking after the individual. Couple of LBS have had problems also with them.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • alfablue
    Westerberg wrote:
    alfablue wrote:
    ok, i perhaps should have said, my new bike will already have Aksiums 2010 version - at 1795g. The PX, while great looking value, are 1758g - so only 37g lighter. Having had good experiences with Aksiums, I think I'll stick with them.
    I think the Askium weight is without skewers, if so, then P-x is 1653g, 142g lighter. But, stick with what you're happy with, of course.
  • olddgreg
    olddgreg Posts: 53
    For under £500, worth looking at some Pro Lite Braccianos.
    I don't own these wheels, but they always get a good mention, and have some good reviews: http://road.cc/content/review/6577-pro- ... o-wheelset
    and in a Cycling Plus test they were awarded best buy, can't find a link.
    Worth a look.
  • Westerberg
    alfablue wrote:
    Westerberg wrote:
    alfablue wrote:
    I think the Askium weight is without skewers, if so, then P-x is 1653g, 142g lighter. But, stick with what you're happy with, of course.
    hmmm. think you're right there. Could sell the Aksiums and get the PXs and actually be up on the deal!
  • alfablue
    olddgreg wrote:
    For under £500, worth looking at some Pro Lite Braccianos.
    I don't own these wheels, but they always get a good mention, and have some good reviews: http://road.cc/content/review/6577-pro- ... o-wheelset
    and in a Cycling Plus test they were awarded best buy, can't find a link.
    Worth a look.
    Now, they could be an upgrade worth the money.
  • alfablue
    Pro Lite's £249 at CRC, due in stock 6/4

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29086
  • RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    I'd suggets getting a set of custom built wheels.
    I have Campag record hubs, DT Swiss R 1.1 rims, DT Swiss d/b s/s black spokes. 36 spokes rear and 32 front which make them nice and stiff and strong.
    Weight 1450g the pair (weighed on kitchen scales).
    Cost £246 (admittedly a couple of years ago).

If you use Shimano you could od the same with Dura Ace hubs.

I'd have to add that DT Swiss rim stickers are rubbish so they do look a bit crap after 2000 miles :-( Might try Mavic another time, similar weight.
  • pprince
    pprince Posts: 141
    Easton EA50 or EA70 wheels or American Classic Victory, Victory 30, Hurricane's or 420 Aero 3's I'd recommend based on supplying them for cyclo cross with no problems last winter

if 90kg riders can abuse them without a prob for cross, they ARE bomb proof
  • macondo01
    macondo01 Posts: 706
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon