downtube shifters to sti

skellator3
skellator3 Posts: 200
edited April 2010 in Workshop
hi need some help i have a friend who has an old cannondale R400 racing with a double chainset and a 7 speed rear block with indexed down tube shifters, i would like to change these to Sora Sti as i have a set taken off another bike,

question is what do i need, where do i get suitable cable stops to fit where the shifters are at the moment

help
dont only ride a bike

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Campag do a resin cable stop which should do the job. They bolt onto the braze on where the lever fitted.
    CPS12.jpg
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Campag do a resin cable stop which should do the job. They bolt onto the braze on where the lever fitted.
    CPS12.jpg

+1. There are a number of other mfrs that make these as well including Shimano.
  • skellator3
    skellator3 Posts: 200
    so its as simple as that?
    dont only ride a bike
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    skellator3 wrote:
    so its as simple as that?
    Yes! They just bolt up to the downtube shifter bosses. But do put a light layer of grease over any bare metal to prevent corrosion.
  • I've done to conversions now - They work fine and provide the anchor stop for the cable routings on the downtube.

Just make sure your drive train and sti are compatible - The lower brand Shimano stuff is good as you mentioned. I think I got my pair of shimano shifters off CRC for about 50 quid.

I used the dura-ace barrels for about £6 off ebay rather than the campag ones...They'd probably blow up. :lol:
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • Border Cyclist
    Border Cyclist Posts: 1,279
    I've done to conversions now - They work fine and provide the anchor stop for the cable routings on the downtube.

Just make sure your drive train and sti are compatible - The lower brand Shimano stuff is good as you mentioned. I think I got my pair of shimano shifters off CRC for about 50 quid.

I used the dura-ace barrels for about £6 off ebay rather than the campag ones...They'd probably blow up. :lol:
    The Dura-Ace stops are nice and shiny alloy, but if you can't find them then I found the plastic ones work fine too.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Some dura ace selling on eBay bin for about £5 new. Cheaper than the £10 I paid last week.

If the link doesn't work just search for...

Shimano Dura-Ace braze-on down tube barrel adjusters.

http://wap.ebay.co.uk/Pages/ViewItem.as ... on&emvcc=0